Fangamer Logo (Green) sprite Daily Progress Thread: THE PROGRESSIONING

Now playing: THE BIG FINISH

sprite Ryan Alyea

Fangamer UberDeveloper

[email protected]

Day 1 Walkthrough

The story begins in a cozy mountain log cabin. You’ll meet Lucas, Claus, Hinawa, and the friendly Dragos. After the prologue, the action moves to the Sunshine Forest, where strange pig-like people are setting fires left and right. Take control of the heroic Flint and head into the woods to rescue your sometimes-rival Lighter and his son, Fuel. You’ll need to use your best skills to get past the bizarre creatures which have been unleashed. Once the fire is out, save your game at the Yado Inn.

Day 1 Challenges

• Find all the Dragos on the mountainside.
  • Use Flint’s “Power Smash” for every attack. Whack those baddies!

Overall Game Challenges

• The translation includes a hard mode! When the game asks for your name, put “HARD MODE”.
  • PSI or Items, pick one and don’t use them at all for the entire game.
  • Fill out the entire Battle Memory as you play.
  • No Equipment Run. Real men use their hands!

• EarthBound Central
  • dragon
  • Sarsie's Joke Badge of Evil BSA Evilness
  • Frong Badge
  • donor4
  • Badge Maker!
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
  • The Sparkles
  • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar4
  • $100 Minecraft Donation for Falc
  • Buck's Czar Badge
  • Secret Forum VFD Game Organizer
  • ZAWA RRPS Winner
  • Sky Family Reunion 2014
  • M25FF Participation Award
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • I believed in Smash
  • smash collab
  • Helped Buck Fever Out
  • Candy Cornucopia
  • Master Kraken Hunter!
  • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
  • meep
  • Chompy
  • Sonic
  • Buck's Birthday Badge Bonanza Bazinga
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • sitting frog
  • !Merch Museum
  • Theoryfest Helper
  • The Derek Rose Incident 2016
  • PAX East 2016
  • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy
  • !Franklin Badge Gold
  • Fanart of the Week
  • Game Swag
  • !!Camp Fangamer 2018 !!Trading Badge from Buck Fever!@
  • 7UP
  • 30 Minutes of Silence
  • badge

Ok,

HARD MODE, no items, entire battle memory and no equips

Gotcha. (just gotta get to the beanlings and I’ll be fine)

“DARN YOU MAYANS I NEED MY MOTHER MERCHANDISE”
Tomato

sprite Gaia Dragon

Ring ring!

• dragon
  • Badge Maker!
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • donor3

I am so doing an all enemy item drops run. Wait for me.

Gott ist tot

• EarthBound Central
  • dragon
  • Sarsie's Joke Badge of Evil BSA Evilness
  • Frong Badge
  • donor4
  • Badge Maker!
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • The Sparkles
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar4
  • $100 Minecraft Donation for Falc
  • Buck's Czar Badge
  • Secret Forum VFD Game Organizer
  • ZAWA RRPS Winner
  • Sky Family Reunion 2014
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • I believed in Smash
  • smash collab
  • Helped Buck Fever Out
  • Candy Cornucopia
  • Master Kraken Hunter!
  • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
  • meep
  • Chompy
  • Sonic
  • Buck's Birthday Badge Bonanza Bazinga
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • sitting frog
  • !Merch Museum
  • Theoryfest Helper
  • The Derek Rose Incident 2016
  • PAX East 2016
  • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy
  • !Franklin Badge Gold
  • Fanart of the Week
  • Game Swag
  • !!Camp Fangamer 2018 !!Trading Badge from Buck Fever!@
  • 7UP
  • 30 Minutes of Silence
  • badge

Oooh, me too. Always wanted to do that.

“DARN YOU MAYANS I NEED MY MOTHER MERCHANDISE”
Tomato

sprite Gaia Dragon

Ring ring!

• dragon
  • Badge Maker!
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • donor3

First couple of enemies done. Proof is down below.

Gott ist tot

sprite Miracle Fassad

• EarthBound Central
  • Elite4WINNER
  • AprilGroucho
  • Game Swag
  • The Sparkles

I’m just gonna stick with the daily challenges. I’ve already done Hard Mode and the Battle Memory in the same playthrough. No thank you, not again. And I quite like my items, PSI, and equipment.

“@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg”

sprite thisismyname

I’ll just do challenges. I still have a Hard Mode file that I doubt I’ll finish anytime soon.

• mewbadge
  • Game Swag
  • Ego Orb Origin Story
  • fanvatar4
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • Master Kraken Hunter!
  • Lucas Collab
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • Pink DK
  • vid's Spectacular
  • !!MOTHER3 Siege

@Miracle Fassad: Heh, I did the same thing on my last playthrough. I found it pretty fun myself… then again, I’m pretty much addicted to the game’s sound battles, so I never ran away from any fights. Finding the rare enemies was a chore, though…

I’ll do the Hard Mode and Battle Memory challenges again for this playthrough, but I don’t think I can bear a no PSI/items and no Equipment run. Although I just might do the latter for the heckuvit.

NNID: Yoshistar-Baxter —- Nintendo 3DS FC: 5198 – 3381 – 4180
Yoshistar Galaxy, streaming good ol’ Nintendo fun! —- YouTubeLivestream
My first video game!My dA page!

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
  • Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Grrrrreat OP!

I intend to do fill the Battle Memory and get all Ultimate Equips. Let’s get rolling

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

AzuBasilisk

No equips, no items, only Power Smash. That’s what I did Because Flint is a REAL MAN and everyone knows it. Especially the unlucky enemies I smashed him into. Except he died to the Fireflies once, but then he remembered on the second try that he’s a REAL MAN and took them all out that time. Then the same thing happened with the Flying Mouse. That rodent knows who’s the man of the forest now!

• eb0hack
  • walkthrough
  • Logographer
  • dragon
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • fanvatar4

I love PSI so I’m going to go with no items for my run. And all the other challenges as well.

No items, no equips, HARD MODE, full bestiary. This should be fun.

sprite thisismyname

Well, I’m through with Day 1. Did all the challenges, not like any of them were all that difficult to begin with. I died once due to Power Smash going through a long streak of misses, but for the most part the GPP went by smoothly. I never equipped any weapons either, so whoop-dee-doo for me.

sprite Lifevirus

Didn’t even know there was a hard mode…

I’m going for Dailys, Hard Mode, Ultimate equips, and Beasiary

sprite TheFakePsychic

Just finished with today’s point, really straightforward. I didn’t really do any challenges, but I found all the Dragos, but it’s something that I just kind of compulsively do.

Kinda rushed it though, I mean I did it in 30 minutes. It just seems like a bit of a rush for this game. I should really slow down. I really like the part of the game that I’m doing, and I know a lot of the fun things that occur throughout it.

Space Cat Adventures!. | A bit of festivity and a swift kick in the rear

sprite teknomaniac

• AprilGroucho
    • MOTHER2 Riddles 1 Win
    • Guess the Foppies
    • ZAWA RRPS Loser

So this is my second run through Mother 3, so I decided to try my hand at Hard Mode. I am now out of Nut Breads because I figured Power Smashing would be a nice way of getting through the battles quickly – but I literally had a 1/4 shot, where my first three attempts were misses. Pretty annoying, and in hard mode, Power Smash doesn’t even take out an enemy – I still had to Bash a Firefly afterwards. In any case, this being my first fanfest, and on a game that I’m not THAT familiar with… I may be screwed unless I level up.

sprite alezicarus

• fangamerHCP
    • dragon
    • Wess Butt

edit- Yikes wrong topic, thats embarrassing-
    Anywho This should be my 4687672 playthrough and I will be doing hard mode for the first time ever. This should be exciting

The Red Squirtle | Twitter Warning! I’m not that interesting

sprite Love Theme

This is my fourth playthrough of M3, but decided to be boring and use defaults. I just want to see if I can keep up this time. I will consider a no-equips challenge on my own time, though. Just saved at Yado Inn. I already discovered some new things compared to the first three times:
    -“Check” the clothesline near Thomas’s Bazaar.
    -Say no to the Save Frog by the Kokori Hotspring after you save Fuel but before you return him to Lighter.

This game really loves to play with the NPC and checking text.

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
    • Game Swag
    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
    • Grrrrreat OP!

Just finished today’s GPP. I found and rammed into all the Dragos on the mountain cause all animals get equal abuse. I got the Mr. Batty and Yamonster backsprites pretty easily. Mr. Batty was tricky, but just took some sly flips. I put my nose to the grind and got Flint to Level 14 before ending of the GPP. It makes getting backsprites a giant headache, but it feels like something I have to do. Ah well.

A pretty vanilla GPP, but it’s the beginning of the game. Reid and Co. definitely made the intro alot more fun Can’t wait till we get into the meater chapters like and 2, 4 and beyond. This FanFest is just beggining

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

Lord Bob Bree

• Who Arted - 37 Wins
    • Nt4rift STAR
    • RPPA Badge #4
    • Golden Medley - Fancy

Going to go with Hard Mode, fill the Battle Memory. Maybe no PSI, I’ll decide once I get near the point it matters. Still, it would seem weird to play this without PSI.

For today, I also did Power Smash only. It was annoying. Most enemies nearly killed me, and the Fireflies did kill me my first try. I had good luck against the Flying Mouse, though. Made sure to get both the front and back of the Yammonsters.

I love this game’s music.

sprite Nabikchan

I’m at the point where I should be, but I found it so distracting to listen and read the chat. About 15 minutes before the end, I couldn’t help myself and had to start sketching. Oh fanart love XD.

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
    • Video Game Riddles Bronze
    • Key to the Back
    • Very Hot Winterfest Bronze

Apparently it took me 34 minutes to power smash my way through this GPP. Pretty sure I found the Dragos. As for the other challenges… well, they’re hard in Japanese. Or in one case impossible. Soooo oh well.

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
    • plo
    • donor2
    • rc5
    • rcquality
    • poe
    • ch2
    • Who Arted 7 Wins

I think I’m going to go for a full battle memory thing this run. If not, oh well, I’m just in it to enjoy the experience. One thing I would really like to do this time around is keep the Handbook nearby and read it as I play the game. When we were all kids we basically did the same thing with EarthBound and its player’s guide, so I kinda wanna give it the same treatment.

I dunno where else to bring this up, but I’ve had this question for a whiiile, what is that on the back of Alec’s head? It can’t be hair. Is it fabric draping off of his hat? That’s weird.

sprite HuntMac

I’m just going for a full Battle Memory at the moment, and I think that’s Alec’s hair. Or at least, that’s what I assumed it to be

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
    • plo
    • donor2
    • rc5
    • rcquality
    • poe
    • ch2
    • Who Arted 7 Wins

You think so? Man, I dunno. His beard is hardcore white, I don’t think his hair would be that colored! But who knows!

Anyway, something dawned on me just now. For some reason, in previous playthroughs, the character Tessie has always been weird to me. Something strange about her just made me a bit wary of her.

I have learned why.

She is a demon. SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES AAAAAAARGHGGHGHGH

yes i know that’s her apron tie

sprite HuntMac

Well, now that you bring up the possibility on Alec’s hair not really being his hair, it would be funny to think it’s really a dread-lock-wig underneath the hat

mrhthepie

I’m just going for Daily Challenges, plus maybe full battle memory (probably fail that part though). I’m playing again (2nd time through), and this time I’m going to keep the handbook on hand, as I want to read it and I think it will enhance the experience. No spoilers as I already beat the game without it.

Died 3 times in all. Twice from bad luck on fireflies (grr) and once more after I forgot to heal before fighting the flying mouse. My luck was really bad, I nearly died fighting a Mr. Batty once.

Got to the end, managed both daily challenges, have fought all enemies so far (I think). Looking forward to tomorrow.

Daxxglax

• Obama
    • Invisiguy
    • EarthBound Central
    • hfwinner09
    • OF Prompt Writer
    • ebff-10-urf
    • AprilGroucho
    • PuRennur
    • Game Swag

Going for Flint only using his STRONG ATTACK.

Because BEING STRONG is the thing Flint likes the very best!

Twitter DeviantArt Tumblr

Steam handle: The Littlest Man

sprite Alerek

Human Factor

• donor2
    • EarthBound Central

Yay!~ I’m actually playing through this one! I’m using all the Don’t Cares, and would like to fill the battle memory for this playthrough, as I haven’t done that yet >.<

sprite gwnnex

• fotw

I will probably start this tomorrow or something, agh. Also, I cannot actually play the translation, so it looks like I’ll be using my cartridge— alas, no hard mode.

And:

You think so? Man, I dunno. His beard is hardcore white, I don’t think his hair would be that colored! But who knows!

Anyway, something dawned on me just now. For some reason, in previous playthroughs, the character Tessie has always been weird to me. Something strange about her just made me a bit wary of her.

I have learned why.

She is a demon. SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES AAAAAAARGHGGHGHGH

yes i know that’s her apron tie

I thought it was a skull from the moment I first played the game. It took me months to even consider it being a bow, and I still don’t see it as one without trying.

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
    • plo
    • donor2
    • rc5
    • rcquality
    • poe
    • ch2
    • Who Arted 7 Wins

The second one could alternatively be Balrog from Cave Story.

Temmie Collector

• Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
    • EBFF 2011 Submitter
    • 2nd Strongest Mole
    • Who Arted 13 Wins
    • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2013 Single Participation
    • M25FF Funky Award
    • Holiday FF 13 Category 3rd
    • MOTHER 25th Teddy Collab
    • smash collab
    • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
    • Theoryfest First Place
    • Snowdin2nd
    • !!Cookie Cat
    • !!!!Halloween Funfest '16 Winner
    • Undertale Temmie Sees All
    • 30th Anniversary Funfest - 2nd Place

I have to remember to play through day one today after I finish my quiz.

Ness and Red are like cousins?
    deviantART
    3DS FC 0533-4006-3373

• fun
    • fanvatar4
    • Pink DK

I just went up to the part where Flint wakes up in jail. I know I was supposed to stop at the Yado Inn after saving Fuel, but I couldn’t help myself.

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
    • PSI Flash Beta
    • Game Swag
    • Ponsesy Participation

luckily today’s gameplay point ends at this part

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
    I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

• fun
    • fanvatar4
    • Pink DK

I was talking about what I did yesterday, I forgot to add that in. I guess I have nothing to do today then.

Xaggoth Cruxrithix

When playing in hard mode, do enemies use stronger attacks more often? Also, is there any change in the amount of experience you receive in battles? Do enemies drop items more infrequently?

What exactly are the differences between normal gameplay and hard mode?

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
    • PSI Flash Beta
    • Game Swag
    • Ponsesy Participation

Hard Mode increases the HP of all enemies; not sure what else it might do.

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
    I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

sprite Tomato

Translator & PK h4x0r

• MatoSnake
    • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
    • !Merch Museum

It increases some other stats too, it makes them a little more aggressive overall. I think the effect is less noticeable as you get further in the game though, mostly because I only tested the first few chapters

sprite Love Theme

I guess we can talk about today? Nothing special, unfortunately. I wish Fuel could stick with you longer- he is so cute!

sprite Ramona Flowers

Lord Bob Bree

• Who Arted - 37 Wins
    • Nt4rift STAR
    • RPPA Badge #4
    • Golden Medley - Fancy

Since there’s no seperate topic for Day 2…

I went with today’s challenge, and the power-smash-only was more of a problem than it was yesterday. I ended up getting wiped out once, and had to go back to revive Boney several times. Those snakes can get really dangerous. Being able to stock up on Thunder Bombs was a big help. I may not have beaten Reconstructed Caribou on my first attempt without them. I also made sure to get the backsprites of the Baked Yammonsters and Mighty Bitey Snakes.

Also, “Bateau: Whatever did this wasn’t human… and no, it wasn’t me!” Is there something you’re not telling us, Bateau?

Mr.Ploof

Hope Im not to late to join in the awesomeness.I just got to Yado inn and Im going hardmode,and no equipment.Also Im doing the daily challenges,ultimate weapons,and full battle memory.

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

Yeah, rather than make a dozen different topics which nobody reads, I’m gonna co-opt this one and keep up with the discussion here. Days 1 and 2 were pretty straightforward for me; I thought about doing HARD MODE but ultimately decided against it.

The big moment here is Hinawa’s death, and it’s set up perfectly: every ounce of video-game logic is telling you that she’s coming back, Ollie even mentions how funny it’d be if she just popped up, and then suddenly FANG IN THE HEART AUGH. In fact the entire first chapter is one crazy downer. It’s a really strange way to start a game; conversely, it’s a perfectly normal start to a story arc in any other medium. Why don’t more games start with abject failure?

sprite Love Theme

Just finished Chapter 1 for Day 3. Wait- why does it say end of chapter 3 at the top of this topic? Am I behind? I’m going by how the site lists it…

Anyway, I never knew that Lighter ran off after the funeral. I noticed that today, and chased him down, and I got a Manly Bandanna. I swear I find something new in this game no matter how much I play it.

sprite _oMeGa_

I’m pretty surprised at how well my separate hard mode/complete battle memory file is going. I’ve got all the enemies and their backsprites up to the end of chapter one, and the Mecha Drago fight was surprisingly easy (although, I did go in with tons of cheese and bombs and a better stick, and I got my offense and defense as high as they could go.)

sprite teknomaniac

• AprilGroucho
      • MOTHER2 Riddles 1 Win
      • Guess the Foppies
      • ZAWA RRPS Loser

I’ll play Day 3 once the stream starts running (or probably after).

Regarding Day 2, I definitely had some trouble with Hard Mode – died once. And Boney kept dying on me; I think enemies were set on killing man’s best friend. Lots of backtracking to the Hot Springs for some rejuvenation, but other than that, after taking the time to kill some Mischievous Moles (as well as realize that Wall Staples are KEY to destroying Mech-Caribou. First time around, I was underleveled and failed without Wall Staples. Second time through, Wall Staples basically gave me the upperhand throughout the entire fight.

Now to wait for Day 3.

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

Wait- why does it say end of chapter 3 at the top of this topic?

Whoops! That should say Chapter 1, Part 3. Or something to that effect. I’ll fix it.

Baseball sure is a funny game.

sprite Idontexist

On the first day with the Fireflies, something cool happened. First turn, I Power Smashed… and it hit! One Firefly dies. Second turn, another Power Smash… connects! Only one Firefly left. Third turn is the charm, it misses. But the fourth turn, I hit one more Power Smash, and kill the last Firefly. That was really great luck.

Reconstructed Caribou was quite difficult; but eventually I defeated it with no equipment, only Power Smash and Wall Staples, and no items.

Mecha-Drago was impossible this way. He just can’t be beat using those parameters. So I cheated a little bit and equipped the Better Stick, got two Beef Jerkies, one Nut Bread, and used regular attacks and stat increasing skills, and all at Level 17. Still, it was a really close battle, and I had to rely on Alec’s reviving herbs a couple of times. I’m not really going to count those against the challenge for myself (I’m still using PSI later); he was just unbeatable otherwise. Got three Power Smashes in a row, though, which was really cool.

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
      • Video Game Riddles Bronze
      • Key to the Back
      • Very Hot Winterfest Bronze

Power smashed my way through, got a Better Stick, put some soot dumplings under my belt, and made sure to give Flint’s hat to Boney so that I could have it’s splendor with me forever. Not following Alec’s directions is pretty easy when you can’t read it… I got lost in there for an embarrassingly long time.

AzuBasilisk

Well, I quit with the Power Smashing of everything. I still used it on some stuff, but if I took the extra time to get the Better Stick, which I did, I wasn’t gonna waste that by not using it! So then stuff got beaten up with the stick. Power Smash was great at teaching a lesson to that unfortunate Crag Lizard who thought it would be funny to back-attack me, in any case.

The fight with Mecha Drago was pretty cool. Using up my Running and Sprinting bombs and a bunch of healing items, I was determined to win. Alec’s healing herbs saved me from mortal damage a few times, and I Power Smash’d the Mecha Drago to death.

The day before, with the Reconstructed Caribou… it was pretty much just Power Smash and Wall Staples until it died.