• April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
  • The Sparkles
  • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
  • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

Can anyone give me some advice on pulling off combos? Maybe its just that I have no rhythym, but im having trouble getting it above 2 on anything except the Carpet Monster.

sprite AnnK

MC HAMMER HAS NOTHING ON MY CULTURE

• SMCon 2011
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • AprilGroucho
  • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay
  • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Crafts 1
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • sitting frog
  • !Merch Museum
  • Theoryfest Helper
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy

if you use Dusters Hypno-pendulum you sometimes get the enemy to fall asleep- when that happens the music in the game gets really quiet and the “beat” is exposed. its then just an issue of matching your button mashing to that beat.

if you get the battle memory you can practice on enemy’s you have already encountered.

personally i’m not so hot at doing combos, only once have i ever gotten 16 and that was with using Duster- i find him and Boney are the better characters for getting bigger combo hits.

what set-up are you using to play the game? if your using an emulator you might want to lower the frame-skip to 1 (don’t go to 0 cause for me i get a strange echo at that setting).

hope that works and keep your stick on the ice!

tweet tweet!
is it worth it? let me work it. put my EB game down, flip it & reverse it!

sprite Kevin Williams

Fangamer Forum Administrator

[email protected]

Also, you probably know this if you’re comboing well on the Carpet Monster, but not every song has a straight quarter-note beat; some make you tap on the off-beats, some have gaps where you’re not supposed to tap at all, and some change tempo entirely from beginning to end.

Judging by my own experience with an emulator, the game also seems to be more forgiving with the slower taps, whereas faster taps require more precision. This is why I can’t get more than three on the Carpet Monster’s song, even though every sports fan from here to Toledo knows that clap-clap-clap rhythm.

Baseball sure is a funny game.

• Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Nt4rift 5
  • RPPA Badge #1
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • Ponsesy Participation
  • Who Arted - 37 Wins
  • PRC Above and Beyond
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • Writing Bootcamp '13
  • I believed in Smash
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Crafts 1
  • Buck's Birthday Badge Bonanza Bazinga
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White

I’m lucky if I can get 3. I have no sense of what to listen for or how to time it. >_<

sprite TheFakePsychic

I’ve personally only ever got 16 (without putting in a cheat code) on the dung beetles. It may be compounded by the fact that there’s not a rhythmical bone in my body.

But yeah, kinda to go along with what SB said, not every song has a set tempo. IIRC, there’s a couple particular boss fights that completely change song occasionally, so you’ll have to adapt quickly.

Space Cat Adventures!. | A bit of festivity and a swift kick in the rear

sprite Katon

Space Waifu

• artspot
    • plo
    • donor2
    • rc5
    • rcquality
    • poe
    • ch2
    • Who Arted 7 Wins

What is wrong with most of you probably is that you’re using emulation. There is input lag between your key/button press and what actually happens on the screen, which is not there if it was on the actual hardware. It isn’t all that noticeable in most situations, but it is a big enough gap to screw up precise presses in stuff like combos in Mother 3.

That being said, I’ve found a weird enough way to sort of accommodate for this delay. It’s worked for me at least.

You can get a general idea of your input lag by selecting random things on the battle screen, like “bash” and such, and comparing the sound effects you hear when you do that to your actual button presses. There are two button presses necessary to select an enemy to attack with a regular bash, so in those two button presses, try to make it so you’re hearing the select sound effects on beat with the song in the background. Luckily, as you get more party members, you have to select “bash” and select the enemy that many more times, giving you more reference. When you actually start to attack the enemy, keep in mind the delay and how early you were pressing the button in comparison to the background music, and hopefully you’ll still be on beat.

This gets a little difficult if your character is too slow and your enemy attacks first. But still, apart from that, this is the best way I’ve found to get around that input lag.

sprite penguiness

The best thing you can do is buy a real copy. I get combos on nearly every song on my GameBoy.

• EarthBound Central
    • dragon
    • Sarsie's Joke Badge of Evil BSA Evilness
    • Frong Badge
    • donor4
    • Badge Maker!
    • Ponsesy Participation
    • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
    • The Sparkles
    • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • fanvatar4
    • $100 Minecraft Donation for Falc
    • Buck's Czar Badge
    • Secret Forum VFD Game Organizer
    • ZAWA RRPS Winner
    • Sky Family Reunion 2014
    • M25FF Participation Award
    • M25FF Funky Award
    • Summers Art Collab!
    • I believed in Smash
    • smash collab
    • Helped Buck Fever Out
    • Candy Cornucopia
    • Master Kraken Hunter!
    • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
    • meep
    • Chompy
    • Sonic
    • Buck's Birthday Badge Bonanza Bazinga
    • sitting frog
    • !Merch Museum
    • Theoryfest Helper
    • The Derek Rose Incident 2016
    • PAX East 2016
    • !Camp Fangamer 2016 Merchboy
    • !Franklin Badge Gold
    • Fanart of the Week
    • Game Swag
    • !!Camp Fangamer 2018 !!Trading Badge from Buck Fever!@
    • 7UP
    • 30 Minutes of Silence
    • badge

I find it easier on the GameCube GameBoyAdvance Player.

Big screen+real controller=easier combos.

“DARN YOU MAYANS I NEED MY MOTHER MERCHANDISE”
    Tomato

sprite thisismyname

My DS flash cart (along with the expansion pack thing that goes into the GBA slot) can run Mother 3 without the annoying emulator lag.

sprite TehPilot

I use an emulator and I pull off 16-hit combos all the time. I get little to no lag, for some reason.

It’s a matter of knowing the song’s beat, which you can do by way of PK Hypnosis or Duster’s Hypno-Pendulum.

Also, practice is key. I spent quite some time on the Battle Memory practicing.

<signature>

sprite JeffGaiaBeam

Practicing on the battle memory is probably your best bet.

sprite v0lrath

I use an emulator and I have to go in between the beats to make it work, but when i concentrate I can get 10+ combos quite a bit.

sprite Exodist

My main problem is with the emulator. On the actual copy I can do the combos fine but it seems much harder with the keyboard. Obviously I’m playing this on emulator for English patch, so the best I can muster is 5, got 9 a little earlier though. Getting better as I progress.

See you space cowboy!

sprite HurleyIsGod

I’ve only ever gotten two 16 hit combos ever, and I’ve played through this game countless times. Having a really fast computer works, i never get any lag what so ever (and i have tons of programs running at once). I can normally get an 8 or 9 combo going, and I’ve even gotten a 13 combo on a boss before .

Chrono Trigger fan since ’95

What is THIS?

sprite Kirby Chimera

• meep

When I play on the Wii, I can pull of 16-hit combos on tons of enemies.

It was then that the forumgoers realized I was either a liar or an idiot.
    They later replaced ‘or’ with ‘and’.
    Steam ID’s right here. Switch Friend Code – SW-6427-3696-7101

sprite Miracle Fassad

• EarthBound Central
    • Elite4WINNER
    • AprilGroucho
    • Game Swag
    • The Sparkles

Basically, I can only give two tips to comboing on an emulator:
    1. Set Frame Skip to 0.
    2. Use a controller. I find the keyboard has a slight input lag when it comes to this kind of stuff.

“@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg”

sprite Shad

Like many people, I’m really good at combos on GBA but rarely get above 2 on the Emulator.

sprite Nabikchan

When I play on the Wii, I can pull of 16-hit combos on tons of enemies.

Good to know someone else out there uses the Wii ;D. My boyfriend claims that the wii-mote is better for comboing and suggests using it instead of the wavebird.

I’ve noticed the first time around, I was managing more 16-hit combos and this time there seems to be more lag which I’ve found the easiest way for me to combo when it’s like this is to look away from the screen and just listen to what’s going on.

sprite No Name

What I do is to us my GameCube GameBoy Player and I pull off 16-hit combos on enemies like easy but when I us a emulator what I get is 0, sometimes 2, rarely 3.

sprite Nesslo64

Using my Wii seems to work for me.
    The only songs I have trouble on (whenever I want to combo) are “Fate” and “Serious”

Taptap, ta ta, tap, ta ta tap tap, tap tap

And easy as it sounds, its hard as hell to do.