Fassad sprite Challenge Thread

Because we were going to need one eventually.

sprite Miracle Fassad

• EarthBound Central
  • Elite4WINNER
  • AprilGroucho
  • Game Swag
  • The Sparkles

Another EBFGP (well, essentially), another challenge thread. As per usual, post in here what challenges you’ll be undertaking during your playthrough of the game.

I myself am not 100% sure, but I’m considering a Pure Luck run, which is only ever fighting using Auto-Fight (though battling normally will be needed in some specific cases).

“@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg”

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
  • Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Grrrrreat OP!

I shall once again try to do an Ultimate Equip run. With one more day for each GPP, it should be easier, which I’m definitely happy about.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

sprite npc

• donor2
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter

I’m going to beat the Starman Dx with ONLY the Casey bat. As in every turn, Ness attacks, and the other party members do nothing. No Lifeup, no Defend, just chillin’.

(And no, that doesn’t mean PSI Freeze either, PSISupernova!)

sprite PKFighter201

• Game Swag

Always have the Baseball cap equipped, just that throughout the whole game. The only upgrade you get is the one in Magicant.
That’s the only one I can think of.

Exploding Hunger Potion anyone?

Nesskid

Officer Sheriff Bradley from the... Leehigh... County

• artistorm
  • plo
  • DINO RAMPAGE!
  • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay

A couple years ago I did a “worst equip” run using only the cracked bat, frying pan, baseball cap, etc etc.

I used to be the guy, time makes fools of us all.
Casey? /wiggles fingers

Latios

• Invisiguy
  • Grrrrreat OP!
  • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
  • The Gentleman's Badge
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser

I really don’t know-I did a no-equip run once, and that was fun, but maybe I’m not creative enough. a No Hotel run sounds kinda fun, but my friend did it and he said it was pretty much no challenge, which I fear is the case for most “challenges”. Not to say that they aren’t unconventional, but sometimes challenges are just tedious, or can be solved by grinding (which, to be fair, in an RPG most of your problems can be solved like that). A pure luck run sounds fun kind of, but then the game’s just kind of playing itself.

Oooooh, I just can’t decide! Maybe I’ll do a low-level run…?

they call him…the universe crimbus

Temmie Collector

• Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • 2nd Strongest Mole
  • Who Arted 13 Wins
  • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2013 Single Participation
  • M25FF Funky Award
  • M25FF Participation Award
  • Holiday FF 13 Category 3rd
  • MOTHER 25th Teddy Collab
  • smash collab
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • Theoryfest First Place
  • Snowdin2nd
  • !!Cookie Cat
  • !!!!Halloween Funfest '16 Winner
  • Undertale Temmie Sees All
  • 30th Anniversary Funfest - 2nd Place

I’m going to try and KO as many enemies as I can with PK Flash that can be instant KO’ed with it and get as many drop items as possible.

Ness and Red are like cousins?
deviantART
3DS FC 0533-4006-3373

sprite Demon Claus

• Game Swag
  • Monthly Writing Prompt
  • ZAWA RRPS Winner
  • Badge Maker!
  • BFFF 3rd
  • ghost frog
  • Theoryfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge White
  • The lowercase t badge

I’m going to try not to die at all through the entire game. (I’m looking at you Diamond Dog and Sharks!) And if that fails, I’ll attempt to get the Sword of Kings.

Twitter
Andrew: Hahahaha! Screw you all they’re playing Elton John!

sprite Hostile

• Game Swag
  • EBFF 2011 Submitter
  • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
  • The Sparkles
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar1
  • I believed in Smash

I might try a no food run or a no pk rockin/pk starstorm game.
Has anyone done a no psi run? How’d it go?

It is never safe to turn off your computer
Tumbles :: Tweets :: Steam

sprite teknomaniac

• AprilGroucho
  • MOTHER2 Riddles 1 Win
  • Guess the Foppies
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser

1/128 run. I will try to get screenshots. I will be playing for a while.

EDIT: I can’t get a pizza from a Skate Punk to save the life of me. I think I’m going to save the 1/128 run for after the Fanfest and just continue the game for now on a separate file.

sprite BB

I’m going to beat the game without anyone being mortally wounded.

sprite Shroomsy

I myself am not 100% sure, but I’m considering a Pure Luck run, which is only ever fighting using Auto-Fight (though battling normally will be needed in some specific cases).

Considering doing this for the originality and different strategy. I find that Auto Fight’s AI is usually pretty good at battling, except for maybe some targeting issues/reluctance to use PSI and items for anything but healing. Also it never exploits an enemy’s weakness, probably because the programmers didn’t want to give the player any free hints or make Auto Fight OP. You would have to plan out your items much more carefully, and focus strictly on equips and healing items.

Watching the AI fight itself all game might be entertaining, but I think I prefer to play the game normally.

sprite heavenchai

Award Winning eAthlete

• Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
  • Wess Butt
  • Game Swag
  • donor4
  • Holiday Funfest 2012 3rd Place
  • ZAWA RRPS Winner
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • 7UP
  • 30th Anniversary Funfest - Staff
  • Body Entanglement Hazard
  • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - Staff

Not really a challenge, but this time I got lucky and had Picky deal the final blow to the Starman Jr.

Where did everything go so smug

• PK Hack v2.0
  • Halloween Funfest 1st Place
  • Holiday Funfest 2012 1st Place
  • Holiday Funfest 2012 Overall Place
  • MOTHER2 Riddles 2 Wins
  • MOTHER1 Riddles 3 Wins
  • Translator Badge

This time, I’m going to make a few global changes to the game with PK Hack, but otherwise play normally. I’ve halved the characters’ base stats (rounded up), and lowered enemy EXP to 50% and amount of money given to 25%. Also, I’ve attached a screenshot showing the characters’ stats at level 99 in this version.

In the unlikely event that someone else wants to play this challenge, I’ve uploaded an ips patch of the changes to this post (EBStats.ips). Just apply this patch to a clean EarthBound rom. Make sure to backup your rom before using this. This patch doesn’t add anything else to the game, so the final rom will still be 3 MB.

sprite Vakama3

A Nuzlocke run.

It must be done.

sprite Erniewan

• patrick
  • donor2
  • dragon
  • robotmafia

I’m doing two challenges, hopefully successfully:
1) No Deaths for any party member
2) All photos with a Teddy Bear

GPP1: Almost died once, but I survived. Avoided going home too, so I don’t get the photo yet.

I make crosswords now?

sprite TGP

I’m playing Mother 1+2 practically with the pure-luck run, with a few exceptions using PSI to speed up the process.

I’m already to Giygas.

SpellBound
An EarthBound hack starring Picky and Pokey Minch

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
  • PSI Flash Beta
  • Game Swag
  • Ponsesy Participation

Remember my challenge last time? Well, I’m stopping that. And the rest of Ness’s bodily functions. Simply speaking, this is a no Ness run. Magicant’s gonna be tough…

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

sprite gled11

I think A No PSI run would be great. I’d finally have to use hospitals. Off the top of my head, I don’;t think there is a single place where PSI is REQUIRED to pass. Here I go!

Latios

• Invisiguy
  • Grrrrreat OP!
  • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
  • The Gentleman's Badge
  • ZAWA RRPS Loser

You need PSI to teleport to places you can’t walk to i.e. Winters, Summers, Deep Darkness, etc. Other than that you’re fine!

I was wondering, has anyone ever done a no money challenge (I think the term is a frugal run, or if not I’m officially coining that ©)? I mean of course you’d have to break it for like the Apple Kid, but other than that, you can technically get through the game without it. I think that would combine a lot of interesting aspects of some of the other challenges. It would mean no hotels, no drug stores, no hamburger shops, no Escargo express. You’d have scavenge for and conserve things you’d normally take for granted, which would make the limited item space all the more lamentable. You would have to take the weapons you get (Cracked Bat, Mr. Baseball Cap, any other weapons you can find or get enemies to drop), and figure out where Magic Butterflies are most likely to spawn in order to heal up proper. That, or abuse PSI Magnet.

they call him…the universe crimbus

califf

Oh God, i couldn’t undertaking any challenge . but i wanna participate myself in this challenging thread to just know what challenges you all taking during play through of game.