Present sprite Daily Categories / Prizes

Changing it up here, boss.

sprite reidman

This is the first EarthBound Fanfest, so we decided it would be fun to go completely overboard and send off a lot of the prizes which have been languishing in Starmen.Net’s (and Fangamer’s) prize piles for the past few years.

Later this week we’re going to post 16 topics, one for each GPP. You’ll be able to submit any kind of file to the GPP; videos, music, art, writing, etc. Everyone will be allowed to give thumbs up to their favorite entries, and on the day of the GPP we’ll pick winners (based in part on the feedback from the thumbs).

There will be four prizes awarded for every GPP: three badges (Awesome, Lovely, and EarthBoundy), and one of sixteen Special Prizes!

Daily Categories/Prizes

Name Description Prize Preview
    Awesome The most awesome entry of the day. ‘Awesome’ Forum Badge
    Lovely The entry with the most heart. ‘Love’ Forum Badge
    EarthBoundy The entry which best evokes the EarthBound spirit. ‘Urfbownd’ Forum Badge

Special Categories/Prizes

Date # GPP Name Special Category Prize Description Prize Preview
    Mon Oct 25 1 Onett Rebellion 2nd Ed Pinset Punks like to play tough, but rebellion comes in many forms. The most rebellious entry to this GPP wins a rare 2nd edition Pin Set from Fangamer!
    Wed Oct 27 2 Twoson Devotion Happy Happy Clay Model Cults are a touchy subject. The entry which most bravely explores the theme of blind devotion wins a one-off Happy Happyist clay model from Camille Young!
    Fri Oct 29 3 Threed Foreboding Halloween Pinsets The monsters in Threed understand how to keep people running scared. The entry which best evokes a feeling of impending doom wins a rare Halloween Pinset from Fangamer!
    Mon Nov 1 4 Winters Independence Snow Wood Hoodie It takes guts to go it alone, regardless of whether its boarding school or saving your psychic friends. The most ‘independent’ entry wins a Snow Wood Hoodie from Fangamer!
    Wed Nov 3 5 Saturn Valley Weirdness Mad Duck Clay Model Mr. Saturn may be weird, but he’s got the plushie market cornered. The strangest entry wins the next weirdest thing: a one-off Mad Duck clay model by Camille Young!
    Fri Nov 5 6 Grapefruit Falls Nastiness 1st Ed. Courage Badge It takes guts to wade through a puke-monster’s lair. The entry which best sums up the experience wins a clean, shiny, and rare Courage (Franklin) Badge!
    Mon Nov 8 7 Dusty Dunes Adventure Goonies DVD Nothing says adventure like a gold mine! The most adventurous entry wins a DVD copy of The Goonies, one of many movies which inspired the MOTHER series.
    Wed Nov 10 8 Fourside / Moonside Surprise Spook Clay Model The Department Store is the last place you expect to get ambushed. The entry with the best surprise wins a one-off clay model of the Dept Store Spook by Camille Young!
    Fri Nov 12 Halftime Show Halloween Avatars, Ranks, Badges We’ll give out as many avatars/ranks/badges as we feel is warranted by the entries we’ve gotten.
    Mon Nov 15 9 Summers Snootiness M1+2 Coke Keychain Summers is full of crazy characters you’ll only find in a wealthy city. The entry which best represents the strange zeitgeist of Summers wins a rare M1+2 Coca Cola Keychain!
    Wed Nov 17 10 Dalaam Simplicity Jonkvatar The core of Dalaamese philosophy is simplicity. The entry with the most concise, simple, and powerful message will win a minimalist avatar designed by Jon Kay!
    Fri Nov 19 11 Scaraba Legend Starmen.Net Keychain Ancient Relics imbued with supernatural powers are a great way to spice up a story. The entry which best examines the legendary side of this GPP gets a rare Starmen.Net keychain!
    Mon Nov 22 12 Deep Darkness Shyness Tenda Clay Model Tendas aren’t known for their rambling speeches, but they know how to look cute. The entry which best encapsulates Shyness wins a one-off clay Tenda by Camille Young!
    Wed Nov 24 13 Stonehenge Ambition EarthBound Poster The Starmen, more than any of Giygas’s other henchmen, are ambitious. The entry which best highlights their megalomania wins a 11″×17″ copy of the EarthBound promo poster!
    Fri Nov 26 Black Friday
    Mon Nov 29 14 Lost Underworld Perspective Gummie Plushie The Lost Underworld is a land of extremes. The submission which makes the best use of perspective wins the very last of eyes5’s Gummie Plushies!
    Wed Dec 1 15 Magicant Illusion MOTHER 2 Soundtrack The line between a dream and an illusion is thin! The entry which best conveys a dreamlike state wins an unopened copy of the Japanese MOTHER 2 Soundtrack!
    Fri Dec 3 16 Cave of the Past Triumph Final Starman Figurine Nothing says ‘mythic’ like a final showdown between good and evil. The most epic depiction of triumph wins one of Camille Young’s coveted Starman figurines!
    Mon Dec 6 Award Show Holiday Avatars, Ranks, Badges We’ll give out as many avatars/ranks/badges as we feel is warranted by the entries we’ve gotten.

We’re still trying to figure out if/what we’re going to offer as overall prizes; in the meantime, get to work! If you want to win one of the early prizes, you need to have your entries finished in less than a week!

The Fool With Stars in Her Eyes

• Game Swag
    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
    • Ponsesy Participation
    • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Contests
    • The Sparkles
    • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
    • Reid is a Jinjo
    • fanvatar4
    • ZAWA RRPS Loser
    • M25FF Participation Award
    • M25FF Funky Award
    • Summers Art Collab!
    • smash collab
    • Lucas Memorial Collab
    • Veteran's Day Casual Pokemon Participation
    • GURL POWAH
    • Lucas Collab
    • Sonic OC Don't STeal
    • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
    • Silver Mafia
    • fairy frog
    • Theoryfest Second Place
    • !Merch Museum
    • Temmie
    • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
    • !Franklin Badge White
    • !!Cookie Cat
    • Campfire Tales Story Shared

:0

Oh wow! This sounds so cool, I gotta get started on my entries then!

sprite PKFighter201

• Game Swag

Well reid, what if you show all 3 characteristics for those badges?
    Oh, and can’t wait to see which one I hold, I hope I’m “Awesome” or “Lovely”

Exploding Hunger Potion anyone?

sprite TheDisturber

I can answer that 6th question! Because the EB fanfest brings out the creative side in all of us. Even I have something to enter!

DoN’t MiNd mE i’M jUsT cOnTaGiOuS!

sprite Demon Claus

• Game Swag
      • Monthly Writing Prompt
      • ZAWA RRPS Winner
      • Badge Maker!
      • BFFF 3rd
      • ghost frog
      • Theoryfest Helper
      • !Franklin Badge White
      • The lowercase t badge

This looks awesome. I kind of new to the whole fanfast thing, so what exactly is accepted as submissions? Music? Writing? Art? Fan Games? Movies? All of the above?

EDIT: ULTRA NINJA’D

Twitter
      Andrew: Hahahaha! Screw you all they’re playing Elton John!

sprite TheJorsh

• EarthBound Central
      • AprilGroucho
      • Game Swag
      • EBFF 2011 Submitter
      • Ponsesy Participation
      • Reid is a Jinjo
      • ZAWA RRPS Winner
      • I believed in Smash

^I was also wondering about that…

I can’t wait for this to start. it’s going to be amazing.

Ask Me About My Anxiety.™

sprite CrackedBat

• ebff-10-gppwin
      • ZAWA RRPS Winner

A quick question: For each entry, should it be Earthbound related?

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
      • fanvatar2

A quick question: For each entry, should it be Earthbound related?

Yeah…
      :|

sprite CrackedBat

• ebff-10-gppwin
      • ZAWA RRPS Winner

Haha, I just knew in the back of my mind that that was going to be a dumb question… Oh well, better get to work!

sprite Nikolaos

Feles quae in terra natat

Ah! I have the best idea for shyness. That’s the kind of topic I can really get into!

The tenda is as good as mine ^ _ ^

Lies! I am the shyest of all!

“****ing shy”, that is.

So let it be written.

Aangie

No pantalones

• artspot
      • EarthBound Central
      • dragon
      • ebff-10-urf
      • ebff-10-love
      • ebff-10-gppwin
      • Pilotwing Flash Fic
      • AprilGroucho
      • Game Swag
      • fanvatar4
      • Ponsesy Participation
      • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
      • Chompy
      • The Sparkles
      • Reid is a Jinjo
      • Sky Family Reunion 2014

…I’m shy

Anyways, I can’t wait!

TwitterTumblr Deviantart
      [16:24] <broody> I was bitten by a radioactive dress

sprite reidman

Question, can we enter more than once a day?
        Question 2, can we enter everyday?

Yes! We’ll be launching 16 topics (one for each GPP) later this week. You’ll be able to submit as many entries as you please, whenever you want — even after the GPP is over, though you won’t be eligible for the daily prize at that point.

Question 3, is it encouraged that we enter everyday?

Sure, if you’ve got THE POWER. We’re probably going to be announcing some overall prizes, so depending on how you work, you might be better off focusing all your efforts on one or two entries.

Question 4, can we post outside the theme for that day?

Yes! The Special Category is designed to help focus people who are having a tough time coming up with an idea for an entry. The only thing which might disqualify an entry is if it doesn’t apply to that GPP — for example, if you make a picture of Poo meditating in Dalaam, you can’t submit to to the Twoson GPP in hopes of netting the ‘Devotion’ prize, heh.

Question 5, will we do more of these (ie: Mother 3, Mother, Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, etc???)?

Yup! We’ve used the CT and M3 Fanfests as ‘building blocks’ to get to this point. We hope to keep building from here

Question 6, WHY AM I SO EXCITED?! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

HockeyMonkey

Weather Reporting Rebel

• OF Prompt Writer
        • donor2
        • AprilGroucho
        • Game Swag
        • SMCon 2011
        • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
        • The Sparkles
        • Reid is a Jinjo
        • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
        • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
        • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
        • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

So, say we’re going to do something with Dungeonman, while it could be called “Legend-y”, it works a bit better as “Triumph” Would I have to enter it on the Scaraba day or could I enter it on the Cave of the Past day?

[Edit] Covered by your answer to Stevesey’s 4th.

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
        • fanvatar2

Question: Reid, how do you have all badges already when it hasen’t even started?

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
        • Game Swag
        • Writing Bootcamp 2011
        • Grrrrreat OP!

When will our Halloween Fanfest entries be due. I’m trying to figure out what to prioritize.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

Jonk

where is broom! BROOM ARE GONE MUST KILL DIRT &PUNCHES FLOOR*

• DINO RAMPAGE!

Question: Reid, how do you have all badges already when it hasen’t even started?

This is the first time in forever I have seen badges under reid’s name, so I assume this would be advertising for the fanfest.

Spooky Mook!!

I will ride the lightning.
        It happened to my kitty, and Elvis was part of it.

• donor5
        • artistorm
        • Fanart of the Week
        • fanvatar3
        • ch1
        • starman
        • Obama
        • Game Swag

Gee, and all this time I thought he had broken his long-standing streak of forum humility.

Haikus are easy
        But sometimes they don’t make sense
        Refrigerator

Temmie Collector

• Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
        • EBFF 2011 Submitter
        • 2nd Strongest Mole
        • Who Arted 13 Wins
        • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2013 Single Participation
        • M25FF Funky Award
        • Holiday FF 13 Category 3rd
        • MOTHER 25th Teddy Collab
        • smash collab
        • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
        • Theoryfest First Place
        • Snowdin2nd
        • !!Cookie Cat
        • !!!!Halloween Funfest '16 Winner
        • Undertale Temmie Sees All
        • 30th Anniversary Funfest - 2nd Place

Now I’m glad I have free time for this!

Ness and Red are like cousins?
        deviantART
        3DS FC 0533-4006-3373

sprite PKFighter201

• Game Swag

Quick Question: If you end up being the only one who participated and got no badge, are you going to get a consolation badge?

Exploding Hunger Potion anyone?

HockeyMonkey

Weather Reporting Rebel

• OF Prompt Writer
        • donor2
        • AprilGroucho
        • Game Swag
        • SMCon 2011
        • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
        • The Sparkles
        • Reid is a Jinjo
        • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
        • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
        • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
        • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

@Pyroguy42 Any and all Halloween Entries are due somewhere on in the GPP threads by Nov.10th. Also I wrote out a big long explanation, then looked back and realized I didn’t answer your query, so its after the jump for anyone that wants it.

Apply your entry to whatever GPP you think the content can best be applied to! If you have a picture of a bunch of Saturns in costumes, enter it for the 3rd! If its a story about Brickroad building a Haunted House, enter it on the 1st! If you have the Chosen 4 going trick-or-treating—well, you can probably stick it anywhere, though it might not get considered for that day’s GPP. If its Halloweeny and about something late in the game, like Gigyas, same thing. It will be in the running for the Mid-Fest Hallow’s Eve Prizes on Nov.10th though!

Keep in mind for entries to be considered for GPP prizes they don’t even have to be Halloween Themed and Adjective-of-the-day Themed, they just have to have content relevant to that day’s level (It doesn’t even really have to apply to the adjectives, but it helps!).

I hope that helps, and if I got something wrong let me know.

Elobo

Shaolin Master Killer

• artspot
        • Fanart of the Week
        • Monthly Writing Prompt
        • fanvatar2
        • hfwinner09
        • EarthBound Central
        • ebff-10-love
        • ebff-10-awesome
        • ebff-10-gppwin
        • Who Arted 27 Wins
        • Pilotwing Flash Fic
        • AprilGroucho
        • Game Swag
        • Reid is a Jinjo
        • smash collab
        • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Participation
        • Buck Fever and Dr. Hobo's Guessing Game ft Kid Icarus
        • GURL POWAH
        • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
        • Hobuck Game Guessing Game 2

Actually, in regards to being considered for the theme. Do we have to mark entries as being daily thematic or say if we do a seasonal entry that is also daily thematic is it entered into both categories automatically?

sprite reidman

Errrobo: Seasonal entries will have to be tagged (so if you did something Halloween-themed you’ll want to tag it with ‘halloween’ and likewise for holiday), but every submission to a given GPP can/will be eligible for that GPP’s special category.

Also, keep in mind that the theme/description for each GPP is intentionally vague! For example, ‘perspective’ can mean one thing for fanart, and something entirely different for fanfic; either one is equally likely to win.

Subtlety is important, too — if you draw the first thing that comes to mind, it will probably be pretty transparent. For example, just because the theme for the Belch base is ‘nastiness’ doesn’t mean that a detailed portrait of projectile vomit is the quickest path to the prize.

• EarthBound Central
          • Game Swag
          • Writing Bootcamp 2011
          • Grrrrreat OP!

Will we be grading each piece of art into it’s own catergory? Or will only piece of art win overall?

polaris12

They say curiosity is like a cat

• Fanart of the Week
          • hfwinner09
          • fanvatar1
          • artspot
          • EarthBound Central
          • OF Prompt Writer
          • ebff-10-gppwin

I have a question: Why are last year’s entries posted on our profile?

sprite reidman

ITS HAPPENING

ITS FINALLY HAPPENING

how awesome is it that one of Worker and Parasite’s drawings is the first google image search result for ‘mad scientist’?

Aangie

No pantalones

• artspot
            • EarthBound Central
            • dragon
            • ebff-10-urf
            • ebff-10-love
            • ebff-10-gppwin
            • Pilotwing Flash Fic
            • AprilGroucho
            • Game Swag
            • fanvatar4
            • Ponsesy Participation
            • Chompy
            • The Sparkles
            • Reid is a Jinjo
            • Sky Family Reunion 2014

WHAT’S HAPPENING -flail-

TwitterTumblr Deviantart
            [16:24] <broody> I was bitten by a radioactive dress

sprite Alxprit

• EarthBound Central
            • PSI Flash Beta
            • Game Swag
            • Ponsesy Participation

I have a question: Why are last year’s entries posted on our profile?

They got the system working so they can see our submissions from anything forum-related before. They probably want to link this with the main site’s art and fiction pages eventually.

Follow me on deviantART and tumblr!
            I am a budding Let’s Player and my Youtube account is here.

• dragon
            • fun
            • Game Swag
            • Badge Maker!
            • Ponsesy Participation
            • fanvatar4

The tables in the first post were fixed?

sprite phantom95

I’ve got an independent story…Fu fu fu fu fu fu….

• EarthBound Central
            • Game Swag
            • Writing Bootcamp 2011
            • Grrrrreat OP!

That poster is GOLDEN!!! Is my love and want for that poster good enough for a Fanfest entry!?! Will you judge my screaming fanboyisim and my threats for no-one to take what is rightfully mine!?!

Seriously though. That poster is an amazing piece of God and whoever wins it will be a very lucky person and I shall envy you for the rest of life.

sprite reidman

Please note that it’s a small (11″×17″) copy of the poster, and you don’t have to look to close to see that it was just pasted together from scans of the original, heheh.

Images of the daily prizes have been added to the original post, and I also fixed the error re: the pinset — it’s a 2nd edition.

• EarthBound Central
              • Game Swag
              • Writing Bootcamp 2011
              • Grrrrreat OP!

This changes everything…except nothing. I’ve seen that poster in alot of places, but never seen one for sale.

So now, when it is inches away from me, this is the time when I shall triumph. I shall make it mine with heart, sweat and my keyboard. Let us blaze a trail of fandom that many will follow down its path seeking great prizes such as this. Let us bow graciously and accept defeat, for they have clearly earned it more than we did.

But let us all be…EarthBound.

• ebff-10-gppwin
              • Pilotwing Flash Fic
              • PuRennur
              • Game Swag
              • EBFF 2011 Submitter

Quick question – are Earthbound Zero-themed entries allowed? I have an entry that’s based on something that’s present in both Earthbound Zero and EarthBound, but it’s more of an EB0 thing.

sprite reidman

You might not win anything for it, but as long as it’s got something related to EarthBound you’re welcome to submit it

Spooky Mook!!

I will ride the lightning.
                It happened to my kitty, and Elvis was part of it.

• donor5
                • artistorm
                • Fanart of the Week
                • fanvatar3
                • ch1
                • starman
                • Obama
                • Game Swag

What if it mixes two games or all three? Like a combination of characters from each, or something like that.

Haikus are easy
                But sometimes they don’t make sense
                Refrigerator

sprite reidman

Same situation — if it’s not directly EB-related it might not be eligible for some prizes (like ‘EarthBoundy’, obviously), but as long as there’s something EB-related it’s totally fine to submit.

sprite wingedmonkey

• ebff-10-love
                  • ! SummerBound Sun Chip Participation

Am I able to enter artwork I have already put up?

If not its cool, I have other works but its crazy cuz I started about a month ago and its still gonna be a race to the finish for me lol. Probably my fault for trying to enter several categories.

“Hey kid do you wanna become a member?
                  Come back after you finish Earthbound!”

sprite reidman

We’d prefer to only accept new pieces of art. Not necessarily pieces which were made specifically for the Fanfest, but at least something that you haven’t already displayed elsewhere.

sprite rogueofmv

So we can enter for each GPP, right? I might submit an epic in parts.

DON’T LOOK INTO THE DEATH STAR, OR YOU WILL DIE.
                    last.fm - Adventure Time last.fm group

sprite Hostile

• Game Swag
                    • EBFF 2011 Submitter
                    • The Sparkles
                    • Reid is a Jinjo
                    • fanvatar1
                    • I believed in Smash

I’d love to participate, but not being all that into the arts, the only amazing things I can do are on GIMP… with a mouse.

anyone have any recommended brush packs?

It is never safe to turn off your computer
                    Tumbles :: Tweets :: Steam

• EarthBound Central
                    • Game Swag
                    • Writing Bootcamp 2011
                    • Grrrrreat OP!

I’m a little confused right now. All these topics up make me feel we should start today and then we watch the stream on Monday night. Or do we start playing Monday morning and finish just in time to watch the stream?

sprite reidman

Oh, we’ve only launched the topics so you guys can submit your entries ahead of time. I mean, if you want to play ahead thats cool, but it will probably be more fun if you keep pace with the broadcasts.

• EarthBound Central
                      • Game Swag
                      • Writing Bootcamp 2011
                      • Grrrrreat OP!

Okay, so Monday then. Thanks alot Reid. Having the Fanfest not on summer feels quite odd with a school schedule thrown in, so I may play ahead if I know I won’t be able to make it. The two days to do it make it quite helpful. Thanks for that

Edit: Silly page

Psychomax

nice.

• fun
                      • patrick
                      • dragon
                      • donor4
                      • fanvatar1
                      • mafia

whooooa, this is some rare stuff! You’re really pulling out all the stops

so let me get this straight: everyone submits their art into the respective topic whenever they want, up until the day that part is actually played, and then a winner is chosen?

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature.

This signature loves you.

sprite Spacemarine9

Crikey, now I wish I could draw

Obligatory forum Irishman

sprite Sly Fox

Question: Is it okay to do something like this:

Say, for instance, if you had an MP3 for a Zombie Paper remix, would you submit it to Saturn Valley BECAUSE it has Zombie Paper as a part of the GPP? Or would it go to Threed?

sprite reidman

so let me get this straight: everyone submits their art into the respective topic whenever they want, up until the day that part is actually played, and then a winner is chosen?

Yup! Still trying to decide if we’ll announce winners on the day of the broadcast, or the following broadcast…

sprite reidman

Say, for instance, if you had an MP3 for a Zombie Paper remix, would you submit it to Saturn Valley BECAUSE it has Zombie Paper as a part of the GPP? Or would it go to Threed?

You can go either way with it, we won’t be too strict about things like that.

Ginrei

• Fanart of the Week
                          • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
                          • ebff-10-love

This is awesome sauce. I am so crocheting more dolls for this, because these prizes are EPIIIIC. And I wouldn’t mind donating the two or so I’m making AS prizes, if such a thing was possible to do.

sprite Demon Claus

• Game Swag
                          • Monthly Writing Prompt
                          • ZAWA RRPS Winner
                          • Badge Maker!
                          • BFFF 3rd
                          • ghost frog
                          • Theoryfest Helper
                          • !Franklin Badge White
                          • The lowercase t badge

Would, say, a wallpaper made up of several EarthBound Sprites and maps that is themed to the theme of GPP, would that qualify, or would I have to draw something by hand ( And make your eyes bleed with my terrible drawings)?

edit: QUESTION NOT ANSWERED.

Twitter
                          Andrew: Hahahaha! Screw you all they’re playing Elton John!