Mr. Saturn sprite Black Friday: Plush Trust Fund Charity Auction!

100% of the proceeds benefit the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

sprite reidman

Be there

sprite reidman

Oh man, The Speed Gamers are a class act, check out the design they threw together for the event:

sprite Godeg

Crazy birds

• SMCon 2011

This should be a pretty phenomenal event, I’m looking forward to it.

sprite Jovis

either wrong or drunk

• Badge Maker!
      • Level 99 Badge
      • EBFF 2011 Submitter
      • donor5
      • PRC Participation
      • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
      • Halloween Funfest 3rd Place
      • ZAWA RRPS Winner

GEEEPPPPPPUUUUUU

AVinc

Ultimate lover of bed

Oh so this is happening much later tonight? I guess I will have no trouble attending it.

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
      • fanvatar2

GAPPU GAPPU

sprite Bluwiikoon

• dragon
      • artspot
      • EarthBound Central
      • poe
      • Holiday Funfest 08 Winner
      • ebff-10-urf
      • Game Swag
      • Fanart of the Week
      • Badge Maker!
      • EBFF 2011 Submitter

I unfortunately can’t take part in the auction (mostly due to me not having any money, partly because I think it’s at 2AM in my timezone, and also because I might be a bit too young for that), but I hope you guys like this drawing I did!

If my full username’s too wild, just call me Blu!
      (my tumblr)

sprite superpeteypiranha

• Invisiguy
      • hfwinner09
      • ebff-10-awesome
      • ebff-10-gppwin

9pm eastern !? aww UK missing out AGAIN

HockeyMonkey

Weather Reporting Rebel

• OF Prompt Writer
      • donor2
      • AprilGroucho
      • Game Swag
      • SMCon 2011
      • April Fool's 2012 15-sigs
      • The Sparkles
      • Starmen.net Art Boot Camp 2012 Single Participation
      • Reid is a Jinjo
      • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
      • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
      • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
      • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

You guys are Ebaying it, or how is it going to work? When does bidding close?

“The only man I ever knew who listened to Aaron Copland to relax.”

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
      • Video Game Riddles Bronze
      • Key to the Back
      • Very Hot Winterfest Bronze

Good to know whatever payment issues with them have been sorted out. I’ll try to participate, but I’m pretty sure Desert Bus bled me dry.

sprite reidman

We’re going to do it live with a Chipin widget (which accepts Paypal payments) and we’ll send 100% of the proceeds to the charity. If someone places a fake bid or otherwise fails to make their donation, we’ll re-auction the item again a little bit later.

The final auction for the Geppu (Belch) plushie will be a ‘cutthroat’ auction in which every bid goes to charity, regardless of who wins the plush. Lets say Bat Fax and HockeyMonkey get into a bidding war. BF bids $150 and HM bids $200, and from there they just donate the incremental amounts because their bids ‘stack’. For example, BF could increase his bid to $250 by donating another $100.

We’re going to give limited edition pins to all of the bidders in the cutthroat auction, so everyone who bids is guaranteed to get something. We’ll only print enough pins to give to the participants, so this won’t be showing up again in any other context.

sprite reidman

(Also, holy crap Bluwiikoon, you are amazing.)

HockeyMonkey

Weather Reporting Rebel

• OF Prompt Writer
          • donor2
          • AprilGroucho
          • Game Swag
          • SMCon 2011
          • The Sparkles
          • Reid is a Jinjo
          • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
          • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

You sir are evil. I wasn’t going to go for Belchy, but now that you’ve raised the stakes I have no choice but to compete. I hate having money anyway, and someday I want to see Back to the Future Part IV.

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
          • Key to the Back

I think you are far overestimating how much money I have left, but I’ll probably try to throw SOMETHING into the hat if the bidding doesn’t get out of control straight away.

Kevin

• donor5
          • tofu
          • nerd
          • poe
          • fanvatar1
          • rcstaff
          • Who Arted 7 Wins
          • SMCon 2011

Be sure to help out. I currently have no CC to utilize to bid on items, so best of luck to everyone.

sprite reidman

Auction is going on now! http://thespeedgamers.com

sprite The Bat Fax

• Game Swag
            • Key to the Back

6,000+ for Parkinsons. Pretty sweet deal I think.

edit: holy crap rich people

Kevin

• donor5
            • tofu
            • nerd
            • poe
            • fanvatar1
            • rcstaff
            • Who Arted 7 Wins
            • SMCon 2011

The auction for the belch plushie has been amazing and it keeps going up, higher than anyone expects.

HockeyMonkey

Weather Reporting Rebel

• OF Prompt Writer
            • donor2
            • AprilGroucho
            • Game Swag
            • SMCon 2011
            • The Sparkles
            • Reid is a Jinjo
            • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
            • Joy of EB Fest - 1st

The final auction for the Geppu (Belch) plushie will be a ‘cutthroat’ auction in which every bid goes to charity, regardless of who wins the plush. Lets say Bat Fax and HockeyMonkey get into a bidding war. BF bids $150 and HM bids $200, and from there they just donate the incremental amounts because their bids ‘stack’. For example, BF could increase his bid to $250 by donating another $100.

Attachments:

sprite bobburt444

• EBFF 2011 Submitter

This whole charity auction was very cool. Over $10,000. Wow

Always Be Cartooning

• ebff-10-gppwin
            • EBFF 2011 Submitter
            • 3rd Strongest Mole
            • Fanart of the Week
            • !!MOTHER3 Siege

Cripes, what an amazing night; there are no words, indeed.

• Women's Small
            • AprilGroucho
            • donor4
            • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
            • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
            • Reid is a Jinjo
            • fanvatar2
            • Sky Family Reunion 2014
            • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
            • I believed in Smash
            • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
            • !Franklin Badge White

Again, to everyone, who participated in such a wonderful event:

Thank you.

WE GOT THE MEGATOME & WE ARE THE SMARTEST

Boooooo LitoNico

• Fanart of the Week
            • fangamerHCW
            • ghostofstarman
            • foppy
            • artspot
            • Invisiguy
            • ebff-10-awesome

WOW so the amount of money donated went up an order of magnitude after I left, seems like! That’s wonderful– thank you to everyone for participating in such a spectacular fundraising event.
            How much did the cutthroat auction items eventually go for? And who won?

@ttto_ok on twitter for draws

The Losar

Floor Fro-Grammer

• Fanart of the Week
            • DINO RAMPAGE!

It ended up between three people, each with $2k+ bids. A dude called Calvin won for $2,300.

Always Be Cartooning

• ebff-10-gppwin
            • EBFF 2011 Submitter
            • 3rd Strongest Mole
            • Fanart of the Week
            • !!MOTHER3 Siege

I can’t say much regarding the Incognito Saturn; I was working on other things at the time and just sort of had the stream playing in the background as I was working. The Belch auction, on the other hand, was utterly astounding.

As you might expect, it began with several bidders opening up with maybe twenty to thirty bucks each. Some of the more formidable players offered higher amounts to the table; fifty dollars, a hundred, a hundred and twenty five. Soon, major players in the race began to form. As the battle raged on, two opposing forces were left standing: Godeg, from our very own forums, against a devotee of The Speed Gamers, whose username escapes me at the moment.

Every minute, the stakes were raised higher and higher, until at last the two reached a gentlemen’s agreement when they reached six hundred dollars. I forget who surrendered to who, and I also seem to recall one of them accidentally donating an extra hundred to the cause, but the other quickly followed suit.

SUDDENLY, OUT OF COMPLETE F—-ING NOTHINGNESS, A DARK HORSE BY THE NAME OF CALVIN DESCENDED UPON THE COMBATANTS AND ATTEMPTED TO DWARF THEM BOTH WITH A STAGGERING DONATION OF EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS!

This is where things got totally crazy, to say the least. Bids got higher and higher; Godeg and the gentleman from The Speed Gamers matched Calvin’s donation, but this new challenger simply proceeded to up the ante to an imposing twelve hundred dollar donation!

From here, I can’t quite recall how each new donation played out, but I do remember being quite flabbergasted at each twist and turn. The gentleman from The Speed Gamers had hit somewhere around sixteen hundred dollars when he officially called it quits in the chat, but Godeg and Calvin continued to push forward.

Just as the stakes were climbing higher and higher, the gentleman went for one last Hail Mary and surprised everyone by bringing his total up past two thousand dollars, though in the end, it wasn’t enough. All three warriors had surpassed the two thousand mark, but it was the mysterious challenger Calvin who ultimately took home the rotting pile of puke with his phenomenally generous donation of twenty three hundred dollars.

After the excitement had subsided somewhat, we returned to the Hallowed Hall of Fangamer, where the Czar reidman greeted us in an incomprehensible state of what I have to assume was pure joy. As “Smiles and Tears” began to play over the radio, He left us with this last heartfelt statement:

“There are no words. Thank you.”

sprite reidman

I wrote up a recap for the original donors of the plushies (Nat and eagleowl), so I thought I’d post it here too — it’s site history now.

It started off slow with the sticker sets. Rick wanted to warm the crowd up so he pushed hard and ended up buying two of the three sets for $50 each.

Things got more interesting when we started auctioning the mini-plushies. Bidders finally started coming out of the woodwork and Rick was there to make them work for it. We had a couple of fake bids and a couple of flakes, but eventually we managed to auction all 8 of the minis for $100-200 each. I know that several of the bidders didn’t have much to give in the first place, so to see them offering so much for charity was really awesome.

The bidding for the ball and chain plushies is where it finally started to get heavy. I don’t remember exact numbers, but I believe all four of them sold near the $275 mark, which was amazing.

We decided to do cutthroat auctions for the last two items — incognito saturn and geppu plushie. Cutthroat auctions are where every bid goes to charity, but only the final bidder gets the prize. In total, the incognito saturn raised nearly $1000 from about 12 bidders, with Kerry placing the winning bid just over $300.

Then Big Geppu showed up and the party started.

There were a handful of bidders at first, but it quickly came down to Tommy, Mike, and Rick. As soon as Tommy dropped out (near the $200 mark!) it was pretty steady $25 and $50 increments. It was like an episode of Dragonball Z — things simply got crazier, and everyone kept saying “ok surely this is as high as it can go”. Before long, these two had bid each other up to $600 a piece.

And then, out of nowhere, a guy named Calvin drops an $800 bomb. The chat room absolutely lost it.

Incredibly, it wasn’t over. Mike matched up to $800 before dropping out, leaving Rick and Calvin to bid each other up hundreds of dollars at a time. It was a clash of titans, and we all thought Calvin had finally won with a stunning total of $1850. But then Mike swooped back in with the biggest single donation of the night, a stunning $1,000 ante.

It was breathless shock from there until they had all bid over $2,000 each.

I tried to say some final words — I was going to thank everyone on behalf of my grandmother, who has Parkinson’s — but I couldn’t keep it together so I let the whiteboard do the talking.

What a community.

The Enforcer -- Still a creepster, but it's not immediately obvious anymore!

ANOTHER 360

• donor4
              • resub
              • artistorm
              • Who Arted - 37 Wins

We are nerds. We have money and we know how to use it. 8)

I feel bad I wasn’t able to see all the thing since I did get called into work for some silly thing. But man, that is insane! Who would have thought plushies could go for that much? :P

Cup of Coffee man, yeah. MAN…. WOW MAN, FREAK OUT!!!

sprite PSI Rockin' A

• ebff-10-love

Man, if I had a time machine, i would go back to about 11 o’clock and tell myself TO STOP PLAYING TF2 AND GO BACK TO THE PLUSHOW! I SERIOUSLY WOULD HAVE BID PAST $2300 IF I WAS THERE!

I will never play something else when Fanfest is on because of this.

Aangie

No pantalones

• artspot
              • EarthBound Central
              • dragon
              • ebff-10-urf
              • ebff-10-love
              • ebff-10-gppwin
              • Pilotwing Flash Fic
              • AprilGroucho
              • Game Swag
              • fanvatar4
              • Ponsesy Participation
              • Chompy
              • The Sparkles
              • Reid is a Jinjo
              • Sky Family Reunion 2014

Wow, what a stunning donation. Leave it to the MOTHER fandom. Nice job, guys. Maybe I’ll try my hand next year, when I actually have some money!

TwitterTumblr Deviantart
              [16:24] <broody> I was bitten by a radioactive dress

sprite florn

I was talking to a friend while this was happening so I basicly have a log of the bids here.

It goes Rick-Mike-Calvin

700-600
                700-700-800
                800-700-800
                801-700-1200
                1200-700-1400
                1600-700-1400
                1601-700-1700
                1601-1701-1700
                1601-1701-1850
                1601-1851-1850
                1601-1851-2000
                2001-1851-2000
                2001-1851-2100
                2001-2101-2100
                2001-2101-2200
                2001-2101-2300

MOTHER 2 Master Belch Plush, Average Price: $38
                Anyway, they all got $2000+ pins

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

Hey, anyone remember bo_jangles? That’s me. Did I end up getting my payment in for the mini Saturn on time, because my computer crashed right after I did and I wasn’t sure I had made it in time. Can someone please tell me how it went down? Did I win?

Always Be Cartooning

• ebff-10-gppwin
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter
                • 3rd Strongest Mole
                • Fanart of the Week
                • !!MOTHER3 Siege

I think they auctioned that Mini Saturn off to someone else, man. They had to redo the auction for that last one like three or four times because people either had computer trouble or kept bailing out of the chat.

sprite shinjanator

are you gonna upload the stream on vimeo? since it was an officecam and all… please?

I’m not going to stick my butt out or anything like that, though.

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

It wasn’t the last one, it was like 4th in the lineup.

Kevin

• donor5
                • tofu
                • nerd
                • poe
                • fanvatar1
                • rcstaff
                • Who Arted 7 Wins
                • SMCon 2011

There might not be a recording of thespeedgamers’ stream, unfortunately, but reid claimed there was a recording of the fangamer stream.

sprite Violentos

• donor2
                • fanvatar1
                • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation

That is truly an impressive display of generosity right there! Holy moly!

sprite Lauramw

• Fanart of the Week
                • ebff-10-love
                • ebff-10-urf
                • ebff-10-gppwin
                • fanvatar2
                • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay
                • Reid is a Jinjo

I was so bummed to miss this, being in the internet-less wilds at my grandmother’s house.

But-but—-OH MY GOD guys. This is incredible, what a fantastic success!

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
                • fanvatar2

To honor over 10,000 dollars earned, I give Fangamer this piece.

Attachments:

sprite SonicBlast

• Game Swag

What is Mr. Saturn doing down there?

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
                • fanvatar2

Photobombing. What else?

sprite Jovis

either wrong or drunk

• Badge Maker!
                • Level 99 Badge
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter
                • donor5
                • PRC Participation
                • ZAWA RRPS Winner

To honor over 10,000 dollars earned, I give Fangamer this piece.

There is so much innuendo in that picture it’s unreal.

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

You just HAD to say it.

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
                • fanvatar2

You just HAD to say it.

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

Phillip…are you gonna comment on that?

sprite phillipblabla

• Game Swag
                • fanvatar2

Nope.

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

Well, OK. I just thought that the Plush Trust Fund was absoloutely bamazing and I can’t wait for the next one!
                I do also appreciate the honest effort to make something commemmorating this great event in Starmen.net history! Parkinson’s disease just got twelve different punches in the face, then Geppu barfed all over it. Go Michael J. Fox foundation!

sprite TheJorsh

• EarthBound Central
                • AprilGroucho
                • Game Swag
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter
                • Ponsesy Participation
                • Reid is a Jinjo
                • ZAWA RRPS Winner
                • I believed in Smash

bamazing

oh woah, haven’t heard that in a while.

Anyway, just gonna repeat what I said on Facebook earlier:
                This went even better than I thought it would!
                Great going guys!

Ask Me About My Anxiety.™

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

Yeah, I just wanted to bring back the whole FaB deal. That radio play was the BEST! Also, who is the Calvin who won the Geppu?

sprite Phazon_Chaos

• !Merch Museum
                • Cokey

Wow. I unfortunately missed the whole thing due to work and some unexpected plans that popped up afterwards, but wow. Even though I wasn’t there and didn’t donate anything, reading about this still manages to make me feel proud to just be a part (however small and lurker-ish) of a community that can make something amazing like this happen. Way to go Fangamer, The Speed Gamers and everyone who donated. You are all amazing.

sprite npc

• donor2
                • EBFF 2011 Submitter

It’s true, I am amazing.