Wine Ghost sprite How Do You Pronounce All This Stuff?!

The Dracula Spectacula

• M25FF Participation Award
  • MOTHER 25th Teddy Collab
  • Floating Heddy
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • Blue Friendship
  • smash collab
  • Lucas Memorial Collab
  • fanvatar4
  • Riddles Lord
  • GURL POWAH
  • meep
  • Lucas Collab
  • Cackle
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • White Mafia
  • ghost frog
  • Pink DK
  • Sean Connery Squirrel
  • Temmie
  • MTT Riddles Host
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge Guide
  • !!MOTHER3 Siege
  • !!Cookie Cat
  • Hobuck Game Guessing Game 2
  • Video Game Riddles Bronze
  • Candy Cornucopia
  • Franklin the Turtle
  • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - 1st place
  • Unfounded Burger
  • Monthly Writing Prompt
  • Monthly Art Prompt Participant
  • Monthly Art Prompt Winner
  • Very Hot Winterfest Silver
  • Very Hot Winterfest Staff
  • Eggvito

This is by no means an original thread. Something like it pops up every few years or so. But it’s kind of fun to see how we differ in the ways we interpret names in the Mother series.

Onett is the most contentious, for lack of a better word. Is it Oh-nett? On-ett? Wun-ett? Wunt? Oo-neett?

Guy-gas or Gee-giss? Or some variant inbetween? Is Giegue one syllable, or two?

Tanetane is one from Mother 3 I’ve seen different takes on. Tayn-tayne versus tah-neh-tah-neh, or something to that effect.

Does Claus rhyme with house? Or is it a Santa Claus situation?

“I won’t accept the ban from anyone but my true love Jordan Keller.”

bricks

• Giygas 10 Theories badge
  • BigMac
  • Campfire Tales Story Shared

I still remember the first time I heard Tseng say “Mah-koe” instead of “May-koe.” My mind was blown. Technically, we don’t know the correct pronunciation until the developers tell us verbally. I’m really interested in finding out, if anyone knows of any recording or footage ever issued by the developers

Well, my take on it, just by sounding it out, was “Oh-nett,” “Gee-ghis,” “Gheegh,” “Tan-e-tayn,” and “Clouse.” Although I acknowledge that my sounding it out isn’t worthy of a universal pronunciation. Hence, if anyone knows any way to find out from the developers, I would be really interested

The Dracula Spectacula

• M25FF Participation Award
  • MOTHER 25th Teddy Collab
  • Floating Heddy
  • Summers Art Collab!
  • Blue Friendship
  • smash collab
  • Lucas Memorial Collab
  • fanvatar4
  • Riddles Lord
  • GURL POWAH
  • meep
  • Lucas Collab
  • Cackle
  • Sonic OC Don't STeal
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
  • White Mafia
  • ghost frog
  • Pink DK
  • Sean Connery Squirrel
  • Temmie
  • MTT Riddles Host
  • MOTHER3 Funfest Helper
  • !Franklin Badge Guide
  • !!MOTHER3 Siege
  • !!Cookie Cat
  • Hobuck Game Guessing Game 2
  • Video Game Riddles Bronze
  • Candy Cornucopia
  • Franklin the Turtle
  • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - 1st place
  • Unfounded Burger
  • Monthly Writing Prompt
  • Monthly Art Prompt Participant
  • Monthly Art Prompt Winner
  • Very Hot Winterfest Silver
  • Very Hot Winterfest Staff
  • Eggvito

The fact that we don’t know until the developers tell us verbally is what makes the topic so interesting!

Depending on if your G’s are hard or soft, I think I’m more or less in the same boat as you, except my hallucinogenic swamp island rhymes with pain-pain. Can you elaborate how “gheegh” would be pronounced? I’m just a little mixed up on the gh’s. Does that imply a soft G, like a J? Or like that french, vocal soft G, like zh?

I definitely like how Giegue is one syllable with you. This might just be my Canadian showing, but words that end in -gue are never pronounced as goo, the -ue is basically silent, like in “dialogue” or “analogue”. (Those words are spelled without the -ue’s in American-English though, aren’t they?)

“I won’t accept the ban from anyone but my true love Jordan Keller.”

Drake Inferno

Court-recognized cheese yoinker

• Christopher Robin is Evil
  • Writing Challenges
  • MOTHER2 Riddles 3+ Wins
  • MOTHER1 Riddles 3 Wins
  • Holiday Funfest 2021 - Staff Badge
  • Monthly Writing Prompt Gold
  • Video Game Riddles Gold
  • Riddles Lord
  • 7x Theory Hall of Fame
  • MOTHER3 Riddles Winner X3
  • 2022 Halloween Funfest Helper
  • Weezerfest Memory
  • The lowercase t badge
  • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - Staff
  • BigMac
  • Very Hot Winterfest Gold
  • Mother 3 - 18th anniversary
  • April Fools Riddles 2024

As for how it’s intended to be pronounced, we do have an answer in the original Japanese rendering of the names.

Onett: オネット, or Onetto, suggesting Oh-nett.

Guy-gas or Gee-giss?: I think the intention here on the part of localization here based on old trailers was unfortunately “Gee-gus”.

Is Giegue one syllable, or two? ギーグ is two, but whether Giegue is one or two depends on whether you pronounce the “ue” at the end.

Tanetane: タネヒネリ, or… Tanehineri, which is not Tanetane, but the “Tane” is pronounced “tah-neh”, which I assume is the intention for Tanetane by extension.

Claus: クラウス, or Kurausu, so Claus would rhyme with house.

As for how I personally tend to pronounce them, though…
Oh-nett, Guy-gas/Geeg, Taynetayne, and Clouse. So, I’m mostly right, except when I’m not.

What is love, if not sharing food with someone, and then running away from that someone,
as they chase after you, shouting “That was my food, give me back my food”?

bricks

• BigMac
  • Campfire Tales Story Shared

To unfounded revenge, I used soft letter Gs the whole time, not sounding like the letter J, but also not with the stoccato of a hard letter G. I guess a good example is the soft G in golf, instead of the hard Gs in gigawatt. So I believe that is closer to the French G example you mentioned

And then like the idea of keeping ieu silent at the end of a word is still prevalent enough in American English that it seemed intuitive for me. There are still many words borrowed from Napoleonic French that kept their spelling intact, in many applications such as geography, engineering, and military

And my pronunciation of Tanetane was mostly a shortcut with it being so late in the game and I visualized it as the same way the southern Piedmont would pronounce it

And to drake inferno, thanks for sharing it. I completely forgot that Japanese is a phonetically written language. But if most players didn’t know it and didn’t look it up, it would still be good to hear how other players pronounced them

sprite ChromiumTrinity

Is it PSI or PK?

Put me on the list of biggest mistakes!