Fangamer Podcast Logo sprite Fangamer Podcast #101 - November 2011 Video Game News Wrap-Up

Along with what's happened in December thus far...

sprite Matt Hawkins

Fangamer Podcast

@FortNinety

Late but certainly not forgotten; time once again to recount all the news that went down in the previous month, plus everything that’s happened thus far in this one.

Myself, Gerritt, and Ben are putting together a list, but we could still use some assistance. So much has gone down that invariably there’s going to be something we have overlooked.

Also, it would be cool to simply know what you fine folks believe was most noteworthy! The plan thus far is to record this upcoming Sunday evening, with the chance that it might be broadcast live.

Stay tuned for more info on that, but in the meanwhile… let the chatter begin.

Omnitarian

I own Leather Sleeves

• dragon
  • donor4
  • artistorm
  • poe
  • fanvatar2
  • hfwinner09
  • EarthBound Central
  • SMCon 2011
  • April Fool's 2012 Art Submit
  • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
  • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Judge!
  • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
  • !Merch Museum

Besides all the big-name game releases, it’s sorta been a boring month for news.

sprite Xaiph

• Game Swag
  • Badge Maker!
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • April Fool's 2012 5-sigs

Club Nintendo is going to be offering downloadable games for coins; now I can actually do something with the 1000+ coins I have. The best part is that they’re only around 100 coins; the bad part is that each set of games is only available for a limited amount of time before being replaced.

A new 3DS system update is available; it doesn’t do that much besides update some of the built in games, smooth some wrinkles, and not fix the fact that the eShop is still down.

Miyamoto is going to start working on smaller projects; hopefully we’ll get some sweet new IPs now that he’s working on individual things.

• eb0hack
  • walkthrough
  • Logographer
  • dragon
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • fanvatar4

Miyamoto is going to step down from his executive position to work on smaller projects; hopefully we’ll get some sweet new IPs now that he’s working on individual things.

Miyamoto is not stepping down from his executive position at all. His position at Nintendo is staying the same, he just wants to start developing smaller projects.

sprite ShironRedshift

Besides all the big-name game releases, it’s sorta been a boring month for news.

Eh, there have been a few other interesting little things that happened as well:

-The 3DS System Update came out a few days ago, adding features like 3D video recording, a sequel to Find Mii, more (and bigger) StreetPass Puzzles, Accomplishments for the Mii Plaza channel, the Nintendo Zone channel (actually managed to get into this yesterday when I was at the drive-through at McDonalds, but only for a second as I had to leave right after it loaded so I didn’t get to see much, but what I did see was nice—it looked like it had some interesting stuff like a Super Mario 3D Land trivia section and such. Will have to check it out more in detail some time when I get a chance), and added new features to the eShop like the ability to store your credit card, queue up downloads for a later time, and the ability to add the exact amount of funds to your wallet that you need to get a particular game (haven’t used this feature yet, but it’s probably my favorite thing about it).

There were also a few other neat features snuck into the update, like now if you press L or R from the Home menu to access the 3DS’s cameras, there is a QR code button that will let you scan QR codes that contain hyperlink information and automatically open the web browser on that page if you like.

Also, not exactly related to the update, but the day the eShop updated after the OS update hit, the 3DS title Pushmo (Pullblox in Europe) by Fire Emblem and Advance Wars developer Intelligent Systems finally hit the US eShop and it’s amazing and everyone should check it out:

-The Xbox 360 has it’s biggest November yet (yes, instead of slowing down, which is what you’d think would happen at this point in the Xbox’s life, it only seems to be picking up more Steam), selling 1.7 million units during the month:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455040

-It’s not up yet, but Club Nintendo users will soon be able to exchange their coins earned from registering games, etc, for a monthly selection of downloadable titles (with the first set of titles supposed to include Super Mario Kart on the Wii Virtual Console, Fluidity on WiiWare, 3D Classics Xevious on the Nintendo eShop and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again on DSiWare/the 3DS eShop):
http://kotaku.com/5866899/club-nintendo-coins-will-soon-buy-virtual-console-games

-And speaking of which, it seems some 3rd party games have started to carry Club Nintendo codes, with Sonic Generations 3DS and Nano Assault (having just gotten the latter, I can also confirm that myself) being the two known examples right now:
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=166914
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=33212643&postcount=106

And of course, like mentioned, there were all the big-name (and some not so big ones) games that have released in the month (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations, Rayman Origins, Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Halo Anniversary, Assassin’s Creed Revelations, Saints Row: The Third, Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, Fortune Street, and so forth). But unfortunately, with so many titles being released, not all of them can be winners. From the same source as that Xbox number above (the November NPD numbers), it seems that Rayman Origins only sold 50k last month, which, especially considering it launched on three platforms, really isn’t much. I’m also afraid that titles like Shin’en’s graphically impressive Nano Assault, which launched earlier this week for the 3DS, will end up meeting a similar fate.

still beautiful

Once upon a time I was the best and that never changed.

• donor4
  • Aviczar
  • Chompy
  • Reid is a Jinjo

Miyamoto is going to step down from his executive position to work on smaller projects; hopefully we’ll get some sweet new IPs now that he’s working on individual things.

Miyamoto is not stepping down from his executive position at all. His position at Nintendo is staying the same, he just wants to start developing smaller projects.

He’s also re-focusing on training younger employees so that Nintendo has a solid contingency plan of Miyamoto-tier talent when Miyamoto inevitably retires.

don’t

sprite ShironRedshift

Also, in breaking news, Naughty Dog, the developers of series like Uncharted for the PS3, have just unveiled their next major game, titled “The Last of US” (for the PS3), during the VGA’s:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-the-last-of/724686
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455132

And speaking of new games, I suppose the South Park RPG being developed by Obsidian (developers of Fallout: New Vegas) that was announced via Game Informer magazine’s latest cover might also be worth a mention:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-05-obsidians-south-park-rpg-detailed

sprite Xaiph

• Game Swag
  • Badge Maker!
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • April Fool's 2012 5-sigs

He’s also re-focusing on training younger employees so that Nintendo has a solid contingency plan of Miyamoto-tier talent when Miyamoto inevitably retires.

I didn’t actually mean to say that; I forgot to put the quotes around “retire”, since he isn’t actually going to.

• Women's Small
  • AprilGroucho
  • donor4
  • Funkatastic Fest Funktastic Thank You
  • Funktastic Fest Funktastic Fanstuff
  • Reid is a Jinjo
  • fanvatar2
  • Sky Family Reunion 2014
  • April Fool's 2012 1-sig
  • I believed in Smash
  • Doctor Hobo's Love Hotel
  • !Franklin Badge White

Fumito Ueda is leaving Sony; but he will continue to work on The Last Guardian as a freelancer and then focus on personal projects upon the game’s completion.

No specific article, but this is big news to me: Skyward Sword, despite two questionable DS games and Twilight Princess which is pretty divided among Zelda fans, apparently does not suck. This news has just filled my heart with rainbows.

WE GOT THE MEGATOME & WE ARE THE SMARTEST

sprite Jyooruje

The VGA 2011 results must be a topic to discuss!

sprite General of Camilla's Army

• EarthBound Central
  • Game Swag
  • Writing Bootcamp 2011
  • Grrrrreat OP!

I doubt we can discuss the VGA’s without cringing horribly and looking at it with disdain, but hey, Metar Gear Rising was shown off so there’s something.

Edit: Breaking News: Kevin AKA The Man changes my username from Pyroguy42 to the so much better PyroGuy.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

sprite ChaoticLemming

Since the subject of “Free to Play” has come up a good bit in past discussions, here’s a segment from last week’s The Daily Show about the game Tapfish and its use of “micro”-transactions: Link (jump to 8:25)

This I feel also ties nicely back to the podcast about raising children around video games. This is the sort of nightmare scenario that the baby boomer parents didn’t have to worry about so much, but that the next generation of parents will definitely need to be conscious of. Hopefully there will be few companies as greedy as the one featured here, but even more a “modest” application of the same tactic could really tear through your wallet.

Guess what? You got it for free. Are you proud of yourself?

sprite Woody

Hermain Cain quotes the closing song of Pokemon 2000 in his final campaign speech. Story of the year!

sprite SuperSpeedy

A Living Oxymoron

• donor4

Since we’re dipping our toes into December stories, Humble Indie Bundle 4 anyone?

sprite ShironRedshift

Also, Monster Hunter Tri G has now been released for the 3DS in Japan, which has caused the 3DS to have its best week there yet, even higher than its launch week:
http://andriasang.com/comzc5/3ds_monhan_sales/

Edit: Another thing to possibly bring up would be how Nintendo has now revealed their Q1 release schedule:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455392

Edit again: The full list of 3DS Ambassador GBA games has been revealed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455498