• Mother 3 Tenth Anniversary Most Motherly
  • Video Game Music of the Month Participant
  • fanvatar4
  • 30th Anniversary Funfest - Staff
  • Holiday Funfest 2021 - Staff Badge
  • 2022 Halloween Funfest Helper
  • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - Staff
  • Campfire Tales Story Shared

I did an interview about my involvement with this project, and generally my experience with the whole MOTHER fandom!

tl;dw: I am still going to work on the Mother Remake OST and will be releasing it a la Mother 4 Soundtraaaaack compilation album.

H.S., if you’re reading this, PLEASE send me a PM. We all miss you and are worried for your wellbeing.

EDIT: something something new page, w00t

sprite Utterrandomness

I’ll start this post off by saying that I don’t aim to be too critical of H.S. as I don’t know his personal circumstances, so there could be very good reasons for the project being abandoned (and strictly speaking he had no obligation anyway).

I’ve been lurking this thread for a long time, as this was a hack project that really caught my attention, and I was so keen to play if it ever came out. I still remember when the Train Demonstration video was first uploaded, it made me really excited for the project and where it was going. It’s crazy to think that this video will be 10 years old in September, so realistically I must have found this thread over 10 years ago. I certainly didn’t think the project would be in the position it is in now, back then. I did see quite a while ago that progress had basically stopped, but i came back just on the off-chance that other people had taken it on (like with Project M for SSB Brawl), but it appears not, unfortunately. Such a shame as this hack had so much potential.

I never had many concerns “back in the day” but I do remember being slightly disappointed that most of the progress from a certain point was going to be kept “behind closed doors” due to it being largely coding or something, rather than something that could be meaningfully put into a video. I understood why, so I wasn’t going to complain. But looking back with the benefit of hindsight, this should have been a red flag. Not that it definitely meant anything for sure, but it put the project in a position where, for whatever reason, the hack could basically be discontinued, and would take a while for people to notice, and would be nigh impossible to salvage. When there were previously a reasonable amount of updates/demonstrations before, it is concerning when this is reigned in, but I guess there’s not much you can do about it now. What I have learned from this, though, is that if I were ever to closely follow a project like this again, which initially had a lot of engagement with followers, I would try to push for continued updates if things started to go quiet (within reason). I appreciate it’s a delicate balancing act, as you don’t want to harass/nag someone and be a nuisance, but at the end of the day, the last thing anyone (well, mostly anyone) wants to see is a project like this disappear.

I can only hope that somehow I’ve tempted fate, and H.S. comes back from hiatus to finish this, but at this point in time it is extremely unlikely. When life gets in the way, some hobbies have to be left behind, and there’s nothing you can do about that. Hopefully he is just busy, and otherwise doing well. Just such a shame that a great project like this has ended up this way.

Unemployed Starmen Hacker

• PK Hack v2.0
  • fanvatar4
  • PK Hack LP Bronze
  • Monthly Writing Prompt
  • Monthly Art Prompt Participant
  • Monthly Art Prompt Winner
  • Riddles Lord

but i came back just on the off-chance that other people had taken it on (like with Project M for SSB Brawl), but it appears not, unfortunately. Such a shame as this hack had so much potential.

We don’t know if HS is doing okay or not, since they seem to have stopped posting for a few years, and everyone, especially the current Mother Remake team are rather worried. The hack is not abandoned just yet, it’s under new management of Rickisthe1 and Livvy94 and all others who are picking up the pieces that HS left behind.

I can’t tell what’s wrong and why he left but I doubt it was of his own volition, it’s probably regarding real life issues or something. However the hack is making steady progress still, just ran and created by a close associate(?) of HS’ remake. If you’re interested, you might find the forum post here yourself if you look for the Earthbound Beginnings remake. You can find it under Twitter by that name too.

Find your Roots in Rootbound!

(Mae/felix.rodent)

sprite gabbls_

I’ll start this post off by saying that I don’t aim to be too critical of H.S. as I don’t know his personal circumstances, so there could be very good reasons for the project being abandoned (and strictly speaking he had no obligation anyway).

I’ve been lurking this thread for a long time, as this was a hack project that really caught my attention, and I was so keen to play if it ever came out. I still remember when the Train Demonstration video was first uploaded, it made me really excited for the project and where it was going. It’s crazy to think that this video will be 10 years old in September, so realistically I must have found this thread over 10 years ago. I certainly didn’t think the project would be in the position it is in now, back then. I did see quite a while ago that progress had basically stopped, but i came back just on the off-chance that other people had taken it on (like with Project M for SSB Brawl), but it appears not, unfortunately. Such a shame as this hack had so much potential.

Anyway, more updates have been posted on my YouTube channel which you can check out here:
    Be sure to check the community tab.

Where did things go so smug?

sprite gabbls_

Video update bump!
      Here’s how Podunk is looking!
      https://youtu.be/tdzMw6EdwFc

sprite Crav

• artistorm
      • mafia
      • dragon

I just noticed that this has been picked up again.
      I did a number of tilesets for HS, along with a few other odds and ends.
      Looked over my old files and gathered up what I coud find. If anybody involved with the current project would like them, let me know.

sprite gabbls_

^Wow, this is a surprise! Yeah, that would be pretty handy. Thank you.

mrlazygamer37

I don’t like this revival of the remake. It’s an insult to H.S.’s original work by changing it to be based on the unnecessarily censored, changed and inferior american version of the game.

sprite Crav

• artistorm
        • mafia
        • dragon

HS wasn’t the first lead for this project, you know?
        He wasn’t the second either.
        And yet, when he took over, he made some calls about the direction and choices about how the things would work going forward, because it became his project, so he got to say how it worked. Even though they weren’t the same choices the leads before him would have made.

It’s not an insult to HS. You just don’t like it.

sprite nate1312

• MOTHER2 Riddles 3+ Wins
        • MOTHER3 Riddles Winner
        • Riddles Lord
        • 2014 Halloween Hack-Fest Participation
        • MOTHER1 Riddles 1 Win

I sure hope H.S. is ok. I have followed this project for a long time.

sprite Crav

• artistorm
        • mafia
        • dragon

I tried seeing if I could track him down a while back.
        Nothing conclusive, I don’t know if it’s even the same person, but I hit a dead end when I found a private instagram. Couldn’t see inside it, or message them because it’s private, but the profile picture was a man in his late 20s to early 30s, holding a young kid.
        Again, no clue if it’s even the same person, but I kinda hope it’s him and the reason he vanished was because he started a family.

• Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - 2nd place
        • PK Hack v2.0

I just hope he’s okay, wherever he is.

they/them who likes to play games. Also likes to enjoy games, but this part is optional.

mrlazygamer37

HS wasn’t the first lead for this project, you know?
        He wasn’t the second either.
        And yet, when he took over, he made some calls about the direction and choices about how the things would work going forward, because it became his project, so he got to say how it worked. Even though they weren’t the same choices the leads before him would have made.

It’s not an insult to HS. You just don’t like it.

While it’s true that i don’t like that the only “faithful” remake is based on the butchered localized version, H.S’ version of the project is the one that became the biggest one and the one that most people learned of first. Which gave them great expectations that will end up dissapointing them when they realize the revival changed it to be based from the butchered version (this happenned to me, i was really excited for this hack and when i saw the revival being based on the awful american version, i lost every desire to play this hack).

• PK Hack v2.0

kinda hard to call the american version inferior when it has the run button, repel ring, extended story, better dungeons, an ATM in magicant, and all the other weird little QOL stuff they put in lmao

they/them who likes to play games. Also likes to enjoy games, but this part is optional.

4th Strongest Mole

• MOTHER1 Riddles 3 Wins
        • Riddles Lord
        • MOTHER3 Riddles April Fools
        • 2nd Annual RWC Badge
        • Photo Man's Photo Album Art Collab 2022
        • fanvatar4
        • The lowercase t badge
        • Badge Maker!
        • BigMac
        • Key to the Back
        • Very Hot Winterfest Staff

While it’s true that i don’t like that the only “faithful” remake is based on the butchered localized version, H.S’ version of the project is the one that became the biggest one and the one that most people learned of first. Which gave them great expectations that will end up dissapointing them when they realize the revival changed it to be based from the butchered version (this happenned to me, i was really excited for this hack and when i saw the revival being based on the awful american version, i lost every desire to play this hack).

Damn, the American one is far from awful. My favourite MOTHER game and a great localisation, doesn’t deserve that slack.

sprite DragonRaiderX9

• M25FF Motherly Award
        • M25FF Participation Award

Honestly, whether it goes with the Japanese or American versions of town names is pretty low on the list of important things happening here. Sure, I’m partial to the American names, but there are so many more important things going on here.

Anyway, I wish those working on this hack all the best. Whatever happens, thank you for your efforts.

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

mrlazygamer37

Honestly, whether it goes with the Japanese or American versions of town names is pretty low on the list of important things happening here. Sure, I’m partial to the American names, but there are so many more important things going on here.

Anyway, I wish those working on this hack all the best. Whatever happens, thank you for your efforts.

The town name changes is something i can live with though, and can easily be changed by others to make a separate patch. But from what the trailer showed they are going with all the censorship (the crow is shown without smoking as it exactly was in the censored version, for example), which also means they will probably use the also censored translation instead of Tomato’s better one.
        What would bother me the most is the translation being the censored one, the censoring of Teddy’s gang and the weird change of Ana living on a chateau instead of a church.
        Edit: Apparently the church will remain a church as seen on this trailer “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmqTboBKdg” , so at the very least that one isn’t censored.

• PK Hack v2.0

Edit: Apparently the church will remain a church as seen on this trailer “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmqTboBKdg” , so at the very least that one isn’t censored.

That was a mistake when porting the maps iirc. The cross was removed.

Anyway, the reason that this incarnation of the hack is going with Sandhop is because it’s meant to be a what-if scenario of them remaking M1 and releasing it in America some time after EB’s release. As I understand it, the script will be touched up to not be so clunky, but that’ll come later after the important stuff is finished.

sprite Wohao

Well said, North. Those of you waiting for a demo, BE PATIENT! I, too, would like to try it out to see its progress, but I choose to wait for it instead of pestering them every few days.

Been Patient for ’leven years
        (actually not true for me)

sprite BlueStone

• pkhack
        • 2020 HFDQ Gold

I’m still waiting for EarthBound 64

sprite gabbls_

Check out the Ellay map video!

sprite DragonRaiderX9

• M25FF Motherly Award
          • M25FF Participation Award

This is super cool!

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

sprite gabbls_

I don’t like this revival of the remake. It’s an insult to H.S.’s original work by changing it to be based on the unnecessarily censored, changed and inferior american version of the game.

I guess that sucks for you then. If you don’t like it, don’t play it. Honestly, reading your replies has been a little disheartening and I’m getting the impression that you aren’t greatful that the hack is even still being worked on at all. That’s fine though becuase plenty of other people will enjoy the hack just fine, and that’s all that matters to me.

mrlazygamer37

I’m getting the impression that you aren’t greatful that the hack is even still being worked on at all.

I’m not. I’d rather have no hack at all than have a butchered and censored remake that will also likely and unfortunately be many people’s first experience with the original game.
            I don’t get why would someone bother to make a remake of a game only to make it based on a butchered and badly translated version when doing it the right way wouldn’t be any harder to do.

sprite JamesPicard_007

the Wall-Crusher Enabler

• dragon
            • funfest
            • plo
            • SMCon 2011
            • HockeyMonkey Appeasement Decay
            • SummerBound Super Helper Umbrella
            • Theoryfest Helper
            • Temmie
            • !!!Halloween Funfest '16 Staff Helper
            • 2020 HFDQ Helper

Okay, your point has been made. I kindly suggest everyone move on from this.

Musical witch of funky proportions

• 2022 Halloween Funfest Gold Left
            • Weezerfest Memory
            • Mother 3 17th Anniversary Funfest - 1st place half
            • Monthly Music Prompts Tier 1
            • Very Hot Winterfest Staff
            • Mother 3 - 18th anniversary

I’m kind of curious, what has been the biggest challenge with making this hack?
            Which parts have been dubiously difficult to do

Also which parts have been your favorite to work on?

Anyways, good work as always!
            I have been waiting on this hack since I first discovered it, (which isn’t that long compared to some other people)
            But I think the waiting will be worth while

sprite gabbls_

^
              The most difficult would be what I’m doing right now. It’s organizing tilesets.

I need to optimize maps so they can share the same tilesets. Basically, I have to put all maps that share the same tilesets in one image. Next, I use a program called UniqueTileFinder to spit out an 8×8 tileset of my map image so I can easily copy tiles and move them around. I need to move all mini tiles that require a second layer to display over sprites near the beginning of the tileset. If the map has animated tiles, those are always first in the tileset. Then I need to use gimp to convert the map images into indexed palette images, export them, open them in graphicsgale and adjust all the maps to share the same palette. This is because the python program (called png2fts) I use to convert png images into map data can’t recognize tilesets with similar mini tiles, but separate palettes that well. Once the map is converted, I have to copy all the tile IDs inside the map file it generates and paste them over a designated area in map_tiles.map. After that, I replace the corresponding fts file with the one png2fts generated.

I will attach the current list of how everything is going together.

sprite ChromiumTrinity

^
              The most difficult would be what I’m doing right now. It’s organizing tilesets.

I need to optimize maps so they can share the same tilesets. Basically, I have to put all maps that share the same tilesets in one image. Next, I use a program called UniqueTileFinder to spit out an 8×8 tileset of my map image so I can easily copy tiles and move them around. I need to move all mini tiles that require a second layer to display over sprites near the beginning of the tileset. If the map has animated tiles, those are always first in the tileset. Then I need to use gimp to convert the map images into indexed palette images, export them, open them in graphicsgale and adjust all the maps to share the same palette. This is because the python program (called png2fts) I use to convert png images into map data can’t recognize tilesets with similar mini tiles, but separate palettes that well. Once the map is converted, I have to copy all the tile IDs inside the map file it generates and paste them over a designated area in map_tiles.map. After that, I replace the corresponding fts file with the one png2fts generated.

I will attach the current list of how everything is going together.

Maybe have the tiles organized in order of appearance?
              I have no idea how to make a game so don’t take my advice too seriously

Put me on the list of biggest mistakes!

sprite gabbls_

How the map looks as of now.

There’s quite a few things left to do. I’ve been reorganizing tilesets and making new maps as I go. I will eventually change the colors for YoungTown when I feel like it.
                (Also, maybe it’s time for a new thread if posting updates here is bad sicne this isn’t my thread.)

• SummerBound Sun Chip Participation
                • fanvatar4

Here’s a treat for you all ❤️

This Wisdom of the World remix is by the talented Mrpinci19, who you’ll remember from many other excellent tracks on the soundtrack. The reflection sprite stuff is by SupremeKirb! Isn’t it wonderful!?!? I have a walk through walls code on, so it looks like I’m walking up the walls a few times here, whoops.
                The string sample is from a physical Proteus/2 Orchestral synth module, which I own.

sprite Gigabyteshinobi

I’m getting the impression that you aren’t greatful that the hack is even still being worked on at all.

I’m not. I’d rather have no hack at all than have a butchered and censored remake that will also likely and unfortunately be many people’s first experience with the original game.
                I don’t get why would someone bother to make a remake of a game only to make it based on a butchered and badly translated version when doing it the right way wouldn’t be any harder to do.

Nobody’s forcing you to play the game…

Hey. Would you say I became a Hero?

• fanvatar4

Phil Sandhop is a cool dude, he comes across as a really sweet guy in Mother to Earth. Also ShadowOne333 is going to be making an uncensored version after this comes out iirc

• PK Hack v2.0

Magicant has been one of my favorite parts of this project to see change over time. This outcome is amazing!

FrankFly

• starmansuper
                • artspot
                • foppy

Glad this project is still alive. I remember when Tomato started it. It’s looking real good.

sprite louie1070

Anyway I could use the new regeneration/wakeup sound that you probably have added into your hack, in the hack that I’m working on? Also, your new gas station opening would be awesome to have in it too. I always liked the wakeup sound in Mother 1 way more compared to the sound in the sequel. You’re hack is looking beautiful by the way, been checking out your update posts every step of the way for a while now. If this can happen that would be awesome but if not I understand.

• fanvatar4

In case you missed it, the Ocarina of Hope is now complete.

I made this arrangement based on the Sound Stone, but the Ocarina BRR file is original! It’s a recording of a real ocarina.

Captain of Positivity

• !Franklin Badge White
                • MOTHER3 Riddles Winner
                • Giygas 10 Theories badge
                • 5x Theory Hall of Fame
                • 30th Anniversary Funfest - 3rd Place
                • 30th Anniversary Funfest - 1st Place
                • Chaotic Fluke Distortion
                • Pooh's Homerun Derby Participation Badge
                • Writing Challenges
                • Piroshki
                • fanvatar2
                • Weezerfest Memory
                • BigMac

Oh heck yeah, that sample sounds great! Nice work as usual Livvy!

Everyone who ever has or ever will be anyone will be there,
                Never in the history of entertainment will there be an affair, quite like it!